Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Advice on filling out a hedge

Hi,

I am not sure what to exactly search for to get the result I want, so also sorry if this has already been asked!

This year we want to focus on doing up the garden after recently moving in. We need advice on how to fill out the hedge which is a bit gappy in the winter.

We want something evergreen to put in front of the hedge currently there but to take up as little room as possible so something like a climbing plant but it does need to provide privacy. Also ideally needs little maintenance if possible (basically no flowering type of plant/hedge).

I want to say the hedge currently in place is a hawthorn (attached a pic from earlier this year) but not entirely sure, but if so something that can nicely merge into this would be great!

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Uploaded files:
  • Hedge-01.jpg
  • Hedge-02.jpg

HI @samc9046

Great question on how to fill in a gappy hedge! I answer this a lot with new design clients.

The quick answer is I don't see many gaps other than the fact it's a deciduous hedge, i.e., it loses its leaves in winter, which is completely normal. When I look at how close the main trunks or root stocks are together, they look fine in terms of distance apart. So I wouldn't try to fill those gaps as whatever you squeeze in there will struggle to compete and survive.

And yes, it's a Hawthorn. So, ten Ninja points for correctly identifying it.

Making the bottom of a hedge full again

If you feel like the bottom is getting a bit bare, you could always hard prune the hedge to fill it out more. This feels brutal as a beginner gardener but is a great way to reinvigorate an old bare at the bottom full at the top hedge. Take the example below. It was a 7ft high privet. It had grown thin and leggy. I cut it down to 3ft. Brutal, but they recover really well and then thicken up.

Yes, you will lose the height fporba few years, but it's the best way to thicken a hedge, and you'll find in one growing season, they can easily put on another ft of growth given how string and well-rooted the plants are. Always remember that pruning encourages growth for the most part, and only selective pruning can restrict it. When clipping and hard pruning hedges, you're nearly always encouraging growth.

Watch my guide below for more guidance on cutting and pruning hedges.

What to plant for privacy that doesn't take up much room? I'm afraid a climbing plant will need a trelis or obelisk for it to grow up. But most climbing plants that are evergreen will want to sprawl and crawl over anything near them. It's just in their nature, ie Ivy or Climbing Hydrangeas. There are a few thin and box-like climbing plants or evergreens for that space. 

Also, you don't want to climb against the hedge, as how are you going to prune the hedge without decimating the climber?

You could use an evergreen shrub like Griselinia in front of the hedge, but they get big and dense, hence their use as a coastal hedging plant. It will give privacy but also be an eyesore after a while and stand out for the wrong reasons. Also, a shrub on its own will stand out like a focal point. Maybe a nice deep herbaceous border in front of the hedge would be a better idea.

I wouldn't recommend any non-flowering sterile evergreen blobs, I'm afraid, as what's the point for wildlife if nothing can benefit from them?!

I'd go with renovating the existing hedge and then considering a redesign of the other parts of the garden to feature some structure to bring privacy and a journey around the garden. I.e. guide views away from neighbours.

I'd be happy to help you on one of my one-hour garden troubleshooting consults, where I can provide many more tailored ideas.

All the best

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!