Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What to do about bark peeling off apple tree branches

I have an apple tree that has some bark peeling off some of its limbs. I don't think they're cankers. I was going to cut off the limbs, well back to below where the bark is peeling, as part of the winter prune. Is that a well-advised course of action? What do you think might be wrong with the tree?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am very unexperienced and I wanted to ask some experts before I took action.

Uploaded files:
  • Limb4_resize.jpg
  • Limb2_resized.jpg
  • Trunk_resized.jpg
  • Limb1.jpg
  • Limb3.jpg

Hi @theogarden

Thanks for your question about your peeling bark apple trees. It certainly has been a weird and brutal winter for all of our gardens.

Peeling bark happens for a number of reasons:

• Rabbits that ring bark trees where they eat the bark off young trees
  • Deers or livestock nibbling or rubbing up against trees
  • Pruning cuts that get infected and allow water in
  • Damage to branches or severe winters where water freezes on branches, causing them to split

The good news is that peeling bark on an otherwise healthy fruit tree is nothing to be worried about. Most trees will be fine and survive.

The key when inspecting damaged or bark-peeling trees is to assess how much bark has been lost. If the entire sleeve of bark all around a branch or trunk is removed, usually, the tree will die as it leaks moisture and can't survive without its full water transport system in place. 

However, if part of it remains intact, it will be fine.

If you want to be sure when removing peeling bark branches, always follow the advice below:

Step 1- Use clean, sharp secateurs of loppers that easily cut through the branch

Step 2- Always take the affected peeled bark branch back to the next clean, undamaged part of the branch or even back to the main trunk.

Step 3- Prune in winter for apples and pears or ornamental trees and in summer for any cherries or stone fruit trees.

Here are some more video guides to help with fruit trees.

Do let us know how you get on!

Happy pruning.

Lee Garden Ninja

Online garden design courses

Share this now!