Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

No dig for flowers

Hi All. I am going to put a new bed around a patio area. There is lawn there at the moment so I was considering using the no dig method. I am going to be planting bulbs in autumn in the bed and I was wondering if there is a certain amount of time I need to leave the new bed before planting. I was going to use cardboard and compost. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Eamonn

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi Eamonn,

Many thanks for this rather excellent comment! No dig is a fantastic way of organically gardening and reducing your workload in managing any garden. So congratulations!

For those who don't know what no dig is I'll give a brief explanation to help.

What is no dig gardening?:

No dig gardening relies on the principle of minimising disturbance to the soil. As soil is a living breathing organism, digging it repeatedly, especially in veg beds can damage the soil leading to more weeds, more effort and lower yields.

No dig uses a system of mulching the beds each year with a thick layer of organic matter such as peat free compost. This is layered up each year which helps reduce weeds and also add nutrients back to the soil. Plants and veg are planted directly into this top rich layer of compost. See below for my own illustration on No Dig gardening.

How quickly can I plant into a new no-dig bed?

The answer is straight away for small plants and seedlings! Once you've laid out your no dig bed, add a 2 to 3 inch layer of compost on top and then off you go.

For more established plants Eamonn I would wait until the cardboard weed suppressant layer has broken down or at least is soggy enough to tear. Then plant away. Remember that with a herbaceous flower bed once they are in you're not lifting them each year like vegetables so are less likely to damage the soil. No dig is great though when starting a new garden without needing to cultivate or rotovate the soil.

For bulbs, I'd actually plant them before the cardboard and compost as they usually need to be 3x the length of the bulb down in the ground. So most bulbs will push through the cardboard and compost to emerge. Just check what bulbs they are. Snowdrops only need 5cm so they can go into the compost, whereas daffodils and tulips need to go a good 6-8inches into the soil ie below the cardboard.

I hope that helps and good luck with the no dig bed!

Lee

Thanks Lee for the answer. I'd hadn't even thought of putting the bulbs in before the cardboard. I'm making a start on it today. I'll keep ye updated.

Eamonn

Lee Garden Ninja

I also used the no dig method for a new border in spring this year.  Just amazed how quickly and easily it transformed a grass bank area into a hot prairie border.  Looking forward to hearing your results.

Lee Garden Ninja
Quote from Guest on 26th September 2021, 8:42 pm

I also used the no dig method for a new border in spring this year.  Just amazed how quickly and easily it transformed a grass bank area into a hot prairie border.  Looking forward to hearing your results.

Great to hear you're a no dig convert too! It's really super easy once you have got the basics in place. Can you share some pictures of your prairie border with us?

Hi Lee  - this was the start at the end of May and how it looked at the end of August.  Can wait to see year 2 and 3!

Uploaded files:
  • 9D5187E9-51C1-4468-BC7F-58A7206916C2.jpeg
  • 894225E0-7CAF-4246-A9A7-C4F7AE246D68.jpeg
Lee Garden Ninja
Online garden design courses

Share this now!