Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Flower beds overgrown with grass - how to fix?

My front flower beds haven’t been maintained in years, and are just covered in grass. I tried to dig in to this but it’s like a strong mat of small roots everywhere and is very hard to dig!

im worried the beds are not recoverable.

but do any of the garden ninjas have tips or tricks? 🙂

thanks so much!

Andrew.

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi Andrew, if the grass is really tough, try taking a good inch or two off using a mattock, it's a bit like a sledgehammer but with a flat blade, not a pointed end. This will give you less of a depth of grass to get your fork into the soil.

Then have a go at digging when the soil is a bit moist, the ground is harder when dry, depending upon the size of your flower beds, you could hire a scarifier, get one with blades, not thin metal tines. and go over your beds with this machine, raking off the grass roots as they are churned up, go over the beds numerous times to ensure the soil is loose and grass roots free.

All the best.

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja and Cardnim have reacted to this post.
Lee Garden NinjaCardnim

Hi Andrew,

Great question and luckily for you Bob one of my top Ninjas has provided a really sound answer. To answer the question - all flower beds no matter how overgrown are recoverable!

How to remove Turf:

There's no easy way with overgrown flower beds but to lift the overgrown grass culprits out. The mattock is a good idea or if you don't have one a sharp spade. Slice it under the grass around 1-2inchs as if you were lifting turf and remove it.

You can then stack these somewhere upside down, grass side down, where over 6 months they will break down into lovely garden loam (ie top quality soil). See below the kind of depth which can then be laid on top of each other upside down to be fully recycled!

Also, make sure you salvage any plants that may be growing in with the grass. You can probably save them and then at least you have some plants to be starting off the flower bed with!

Cultivating soil:

Then the best way like Bob says it to wait until the ground is relatively moist, never dry or baked. I'd then lightly work it over with a garden fork, rotavator or a scarifyier. Though be careful because a rotavator or scarifier can end up slicing up perennial weed roots too and causing them to be distributed further in the soil. Try and get rid of as many grassroots and weeds as possible before this.

Adding organic matter once this is done such as compost or even a mix of fresh grass clippings can help aerate and improve the soil.

Yes, it's going to be hard work but ultimately worth it. I can guarantee that once you start, the endorphins will flow and you'll become inspired with what you can achieve.

How to plant a flower bed easily:

Once the bed is clear its worth whole watching and reading this guide to create an awesome flower bed.

Do let us know how you get on!

Happy Gardening.

Lee

Cardnim has reacted to this post.
Cardnim

Thanks so much Bob and Lee!

(Im Andrew, the OP.... but now I've registered!)

Thats great advice and I'll give it a go.
If I come unstuck I'll maybe come back with a few more silly questions, but its just relieving to know that I might be able to get them back in some shape again.

Lee Garden Ninja

Quick follow up.

I had never heard of a mattock before, but just Googled it - and your timing couldnt be better!

I was literally on my way to the builders yard to buy a pick axe today (for my pond dig?!) and have now seen that you can get such a thing as a mattock/pickaxe hybrid. I will instead get one of those and hopefully do two jobs with it!

Thanks again guys.

Lee Garden Ninja

@Bob @Lee

A very quick update - got the mattock/pick combo today (5lb) and it works SO well. Making good progress and can actually see soil (clay). The grass came up exactly like a carpet but with deep strong roots that need prised out of the clay. I feel like Im making a little progress!

@Bob @Lee

A very quick update - got the mattock/pick combo today (5lb) and it works SO well. Making good progress and can actually see soil (clay). The grass came up exactly like a carpet but with deep strong roots that need prised out of the clay. I feel like Im making a little progress!

EDIT - for anyone else tackling this, dont try it without the mattock. I had both a strong fork and spades of different sizes and several widths, but they are significantly harder work than the mattock which is easy... and gentle on the back.

Lee Garden Ninja

That's fantastic to hear Andrew!

It sounds like you're set up for success now in removing this weedy turfy strip and creating a great flower bed.

For anyone else wondering what a garden mattock is there's a picture below to help bring it to life a bit more.

If you've found this forum helpful may I ask a favour? Would you be able to leave a review here? It helps future garden design clients and people looking for gardening help.

All the best

Lee

Cardnim has reacted to this post.
Cardnim
Online garden design courses

Share this now!