Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

English ivy infestation and how to remove?

Hi all!

I am in the process of reclaiming my fairly large garden after years of neglect, and finding much happiness in gardening. The garden was very well designed in the 1950s when the house was built and to the best of my knowledge hasn't been changed since. Therefore some parts, such as the stone/concrete section at the far end are falling apart. I have so far removed the mass of weeds from the boarders, planted new small shrubs/flowers and cut down some very young oak trees, (the squirrels keep forgetting to come back for their acorns!)

Some of the garden I am happy to leave wild, since there are many birds and mammals that live near and pass through the garden. However, at the top end of the garden there is a ~ 10x10m raised area that had a patio, more soil for shrubs, and space for a shed. It is now completely overgrown with ivy- the roots go under the paving, have matted within the soil, and spread EVERYWHERE. I have tried many methods to remove it, most recently I mowed it as much as possible, but to no avail. Short of removing the shed and entire concrete/paved section, (a significant and expensive project) I'm not sure what to do. Any advice on how to get rid of extremely well established ivy? 

I should note that the ivy was planted deliberately by the landscaper in the front and back gardens back in the day, so it spans the whole length of one boarder too, although I've removed enough to hide most of it 🙂

Hi @abi123abi

Thanks for your question. Whilst Ivy is a valuable food source for honeybees, wildlife and birds it sounds like your gardens been overrun by it. 

Ivy can’t be easily killed with chemical weed killers and I would never recommend them as they cause more ecological harm than good. 

The only way to properly control it is manually. May be get a contractor in for a lift and shift approach. Pulling it out is the best method. 

Don’t use a rotovator to try and remove it as you’ll leave all the roots and just propagate it. 

Good luck! 

Lee

abi123abi has reacted to this post.
abi123abi
Online garden design courses

Share this now!