Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to grow Daucas carota

I would like to grow this from seed but keep seeing that it’s ‘sometimes’ biennial what dies this mean (hope I’ve spelt it right)

I would like it to flower this year ?

Hi @sashas

Great question about wild carrots (Daucus carota) and biennial plants. Let me provide a whistle-stop tour of what they are and how to grow carrots from seed.

What are wild carrots?

Wild carrots are a close relative of the vegetable we grow for food in allotments and farmers' fields across the UK. However, these versions are a wildflower; some would even say weed, which can be found in verges, pathways and footpaths across the UK in the middle of summer.

They have a gorgeous umbellifer flower, which looks like an upside-down umbrella. Umbellifers like carrots and Yarrow are great for pollinating insects due to the height volume of tiny flowers.

Are carrots biennial?

Yes, they are. Biennial plants only live for two years. You can read more on biennial plants here or watch the video below.

In year one, the carrots will put on fluffy green foliage at the base. That is all that happens.

Then in year two in late spring, a main stem will emerge, which containers the flower. This flower opens from June onwards and gets pollinated by insects and bees. Then once pollinated it will set seeds and scatter them to repeat the process.

What conditions do wild carrots need?

Wild carrots like nutrient-poor soil and chalky conditions. They grow best on disturbed soil. As a biennial, they need one year to put on their basal foliage growth, and then in year two, they flower and set seed. They prefer well-drained, almost dry soil too. They are very undemanding hence their appearance in the wasteland or recently disturbed ground.

If growing them in containers, use seed compost which has low fertility or coir growing media. They will struggle in really fertile soil or high-nutrient compost.

For example, if you scatter seed in a wildflower meadow, you must first disturb the soil with a rake or hoe. They won't compete with grass or root through turf.

Best time of year to sow wild carrots?

The best time is autumn when they can be grown in containers or in the ground by seed sowing. This mimics their normal germination pattern. Remember the carrot sows its own seeds at the end of summer. These in the wild would germinate in autumn. Meaning year one starts the next spring and then year two the year after. It's a 2-year process.

If you want flowers this year buy some container-grown wild carrots for next year and then collect the seed to sow yourself afterwards.

I hope that helps.

Happy gardening!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!