Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Apple trees removing competing leaders & pruning advice

Hi there, my name is Hattie and I’m hoping to find answers to our apple tree pruning. 
I’ve watched a number of Lee’s videos so have an understanding of what I want in the way of a goblet shape to our trees. 
The two trees though are very different in shape as will be seen. 
One is very narrow and has 3 main branches right now with a clear V shape. Which branches should I prune. 
The other apple tree is a V with two over bending branches. I know to probably take off the weaker V but then what can we do to stop the bend at the top and allow it to grow straight and strong? 
Thank you. 

Hi @hattief

Thanks for your question about pruning apple trees into the open goblet shape. The open goblet shape of apple and fruit trees is considered the most productive for a 'standard' fruit tree shape. I.e. one main stem and an open canopy. The reason for the open goblet shape is to maximise airflow, fruiting and make it easy to prune. Think of an open palm with each finger (as branches) equally spread out.

If you look above, you can see the open shape of this tree. The main leader has been cut out to form this bush shape as it had reached its ultimate height. Only cut out the main leader to prevent upwards growth but it will always cause a bushier tree.

How to prune competing leaders

The first tree you mention sounds like it has competing leaders ie two main stems shooting upwards in a v shape. The problem with competing leaders is that the likelihood is that the V shape will eventually split, think of strong winds, heavy fruit or a large bird landing on them. This then splits the tree causing damage.

We ideally always want one main lead stem (the leader) that all other side shoots (laterals ) grow from. So we avoid dual leaders in standard-shaped trees. One needs pruning out.

The best way to do this is to pick the healthiest and straightest of the two. The one that most aligns with the balanced shape of the tree. Then cut the other one back to the main stem stopping its growth and passing the energy further back down the fruit tree.

For the other tree it sounds like either the weight of fruit or leaving branches too long has caused them to droop. My guide below should help.

When it comes to rectifying dropping fruit trees, take 1/3 or even up to 1/2 off the branches to an outward-facing bud to reduce their length. Always make sure you use sharp secateurs too there's a guide below on sharpening them.

If you can post some pictures, I can try and annotate them for you!

Happy pruning!

Lee

Thank you. Here is tree 1 

Uploaded files:
  • D52B6BF0-0704-4B7C-80BC-4BB9BA4D6D9E.jpeg

Hi @hattief

Thanks for the pictures of your apple trees.

I've attached some suggested pruning cuts for the non-v shaped one. This will create a better-shaped apple tree rather than a tall and bendy one. Note that all internal branches growing back into the centre of the tree should be taken right back to the next stem.

As for the V-shaped tree the only way to rectify it is to choose the strongest leader and then prune back the other one completely. It may feel brutal, but this is the only way to get a strong-shaped tree.

If you're reticent what I would do is cut the two V's back by 1/2 (yes half) to form shorter branches which have less chance of splitting the V in two or hanging down as they are doing. I'd even remove that very lowest branch all the way back as well for balance.

I hope that helps Hatti and let us know of your progress!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!