Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Where to start with an overgrown garden?

Hello all,

moved into my first home a few years ago the previous owner was a retired keen gardener.

I have literally no experience and have brought lots of gardening equipment over the years to try and bring things under control but they appear to keep getting worse.

please see pictures 

Essentially weeds everywhere 

No idea what to do with the tree leaning over to the neighbours.

Lawn riddled with weeds and heavy amount of moss.

I’ve started building up my equipment over the years with lawn mower, garden multi tool (chainsaw etc..), leaf blower, Dutch hoe, secateurs, scarifier, garden shears, hedge trimmer, grass strimmer, garden fork, spray can.

Where do I start to put it all right?

I’ve started pulling out the random bamboo shoots by hand and the ivy off the fence but there is a lot of it in the flower beds.

Trying to kill off the large areas of weeds with spraying but with a lot of recent rain there seems to be a lot more new growth.

I plan on mowing the lawn waiting a few days then applying evergreen 4 in 1 on the lawn waiting a couple of weeks for things to die then scarify then wait a minimum amount of time 8 weeks to put seed down which will put us into June (or do I seed next year?) 

I will be hand weeding the flower beds or do I just kill it all and start again? There are rose bushes and trees in some of the beds.

Take out all the debris between pavers using bill hook. What do I fill it with so I can power wash and inhibit future growth? 

any ideas what to do and how to get started or advice on above planned action greatly appreciated and any additional tools or lawn seed type recommended.

some pictures in the link hopefully can be seen.

thanks in advance

Any advice where to begin and any tools required appreciate the help.

TheGardener09 has reacted to this post.
TheGardener09

Hello there,

First of all, congratulations on your new home! It's great that you have a passion for gardening, and it's not uncommon to feel overwhelmed when starting from scratch. Based on the pictures you shared, it seems like you have quite a bit of work to do, but don't worry, it's definitely manageable.

It's a good start that you've been pulling out the bamboo shoots and ivy, as those can quickly take over if left unchecked. As for the weeds in the flower beds, it might be best to hand weed them rather than using a spray, especially if you have rose bushes and trees in there. You don't want to accidentally harm your other plants. It might take a bit longer to do it by hand, but it's worth it in the end.

Regarding the tree that's leaning over to your neighbor's yard, it might be a good idea to consult with an arborist to see if it can be salvaged or if it needs to be removed. They can also give you advice on how to care for it properly in the future.

As for the lawn, it seems like you have a good plan in place with mowing, applying evergreen 4 in 1, and scarifying. If you're planning on seeding, it's probably best to wait until next year so that the lawn has enough time to recover before winter.

For the debris between your pavers, you can fill it with a sand mixture specifically designed for this purpose. This will help prevent future growth and make it easier to power wash.

In terms of additional tools, it looks like you have a pretty good collection already. However, if you plan on doing a lot of pruning, you might want to invest in a pruning saw, which can handle thicker branches than your hedge trimmer or secateurs.

Remember, gardening is a process, and it takes time and patience to achieve the results you want. Take it one step at a time, and don't be afraid to ask for help from professionals or fellow gardeners in your area. Good luck, and happy gardening!

Online garden design courses

Share this now!