Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Weed prevention in a new garden?

Hi. I have recently stripped out my garden to a blank canvas and replaced a damaged drain. I plan to re-introduce the soil now all building work is done and then add turf once level.

However between now and then I want to kill off and prevent any future weeds as at the minute bare earth is visible. As I have animals I’m reluctant be using chemicals so was going to place a thick black damp proof membrane down to starve the weeds of any light therefore killing them off. Is that enough?

Or will they lie dormant and decide to reappear when my freshly laid turf is down?

Thanks.

Hi,

Welcome to the Garden Ninja online Gardening forum and thanks for your question.

Firstly, thank you for not resorting to chemical weed killers which are incredibly bad for the environment and non-selective. ie they kill any plant they accidentally drift onto.

Preventing Garden Weeds:

Your best method is to use some form of cover like a membrane. However, the niggle with weed membrane is that it tends to leave lots of plastic thin straps everywhere once cut. It tends to be woven of polyester and the straps get stuck everywhere. Also, plastic weed membrane in the garden has a really long life span and can't be easily recycled. It's probably your easiest method of weed prevention. You can see how to do this in my video guide below.

No dig to prevent weeds:

Another route is to use cardboard and layer this over the bare earth. The beauty of this is that it breathes and will over the course of a few months break down into the soil. It's the best route if you want to start a no dig garden. Where you would simply layer your new soil on top of this cardboard layer and you're good to garden straight away! You can read more on no dig gardening here.

How long can weed seeds lie dormant?

Weeds are incredibly tenacious though and seeds can last for years waiting for the perfect conditions, ie light and moisture. So you're not going to completely sterilise the soil of weeds, just slow them down.

It depends on how long you need the weed barrier down. Fresh turf, new soil etc will no doubt come with some weed seeds so it may be best to be a bit more relaxed and focus your efforts on a rich mix of pollen packed planting to encourage wildlife to your new garden.

You can have a look here at the 5 plant types you can use in a garden to create an awesome back garden!

Happy gardening.

Thanks Lee, that’s great advice. I think I will try a black pond liner as a weed blocker for now as I can recycle it’s use in a pond later on. 

I’ve been researching the cardboard method too but heard slugs love to hide under. Seems better for the environment though. 

Many thanks, Lee

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja
Online garden design courses

Share this now!