Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tulip fire or nematode damage?

I’m a new (perhaps a little naïve) gardener seeking some advice about growing tulips. So I bought some tulip bulbs last November and they were coming on really nicely, that is until immediately  after flowering when I spotted scorching on some of the leaves. Worried that it might be tulip fire, I dug one bulb up to discover that it was rotten and dotted with brown lesions. Others in the same container followed its lead along with all the bulbs in the nearby borders.

My questions are: am I correct in thinking that this tulip fire? How did the tulips manage to reach flowering stage without showing any signs of the disease?

Does bark chip mulch carry the disease (some of them were mulched with bark mulch)? How can I avoid tulip fire in the future? - I’m aware that tulip bulbs can’t be planted in the area of infection for at least three years but might like to plant some in different containers elsewhere. I have attached some pictures of an infected bulb to make things clearer. All best, Gemma 

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_9301.jpeg
  • IMG_9300.jpeg
  • IMG_9299.jpeg
  • IMG_9298.jpeg

Hi @grlg

Thanks for your question about Tulip fire, a disease that discolours tulips leaves and stunts their growth. I'm not sure it is that, which is a fungal disease looks more like a roundworm infestation.

From those images, it looks like tulip stem and bulb nematodes, which are like tiny worms.

Tulip stem and bulb nematodes are microscopic roundworms that infest tulip bulbs and cause damage to the plant's roots, resulting in stunted growth, distorted foliage, and reduced flower production. Thats what I see when I see those brown legions on the bulbs and small burrowing marks. These pests can be a significant problem for tulip growers, as they can persist in the soil for several years and spread rapidly throughout a garden. It's not as tricky as tulip fire, but it still requires lifting and destroying bulbs and not replanting for 3 years, sadly.

To prevent and manage tulip nematodes, follow these steps:

• Soil sterilization: Before planting tulip bulbs, sterilize the soil to kill any nematodes present. This can be done by solarization (covering the soil with clear plastic to trap heat) or simply plant in containers as you have suggested, that way you can then move the tulips out of the way when they have gone over.

• Crop rotation: Avoid planting tulips in the same location year after year, as this can lead to a buildup of nematode populations in the soil. Instead, practice crop rotation by planting nematode-resistant or non-host plants in infested areas or again use containers.

• Select resistant varieties: Some tulip varieties are more resistant to nematode damage than others. Choose varieties labelled as nematode-resistant or look for cultivars that perform well in nematode-infested soils. Always buy from reputable sellers who ensure their bulbs are pest-free to begin with, as most diseases with bulbs are brought into the garden.

• Bulb inspection: Before planting tulip bulbs, carefully inspect them for signs of nematode infestation, such as lesions, discolouration, or soft spots. Discard and destroy any bulbs that show symptoms of nematode damage to prevent the spreading of the infestation. DO NOT COMPOST THEM!

• Clean tools and equipment: Nematodes can be spread through contaminated soil, so be sure to clean and disinfect gardening tools, pots, and other equipment before using them in different areas of the garden. Especially if digging up and dividing bulbs.

• Biological controls: Some beneficial nematode species prey on plant-parasitic nematodes, including tulip nematodes. Consider applying beneficial nematodes to the soil to help suppress nematode populations naturally.

• Chemical treatments: I would not advise chemical treatments for tulip stem and bulb nematode. They cause more harm than good, in my experience.

• Soil amendments: Incorporating organic matter such as compost, manure, or mulch into the soil can improve soil health and fertility, making it less hospitable to nematodes. Certain soil amendments, such as biofumigant crops or mustard meal, can also release compounds that suppress nematode activity.

Sorry to hear of your trouble with tulips, but every setback is a lesson in gardening, so don't be too disheartened!

All the best

Lee Garden Ninja

Online garden design courses

Share this now!