Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Supporting pleached trees in raised bed with wall

I’m due to plant 5 Hornbeams in the next few weeks. 1.8m standards. I’ve read all your advice re planting and staking but 2 questions pls.

firstly if I plant 50 cm from wall, is it still possible to secure a brace or should I double stake instead? What size stakes and brace would you suggest? 55mm for stakes? 

Secondly

The raised bed  (south facing with some shade) is open so not worried about roots, re underplanting should I stick to small perennials,, had hope for a few shrubs but bed is only 1m wide .

Thanks 

Hi,

Thanks for your comment about pleached trees.

Pleached trees are a great contemporary way to add both height and privacy into a garden.

With pleached trees, you need to make sure they are well supported as any wind or exposure can cause them to blow over until they are properly established. I'd always brace pleached trees for the first two years as you can see below. Remember that your hornbeam are going to grow and the main stem will thicken significantly in the first 3-5 years.

You need stakes that can be driven in by at least 40-50cm within the ground to take into account the 'sail' factor of the pleached part of the tree. They are basically top-heavy until established. So the stakes need to be able to take this potential pivot movement in high winds.

The cross bar on the supports should come just below the bottom line of the pleached part. Then it's both hidden and supportive. Too low and it is ugly and can be less effective same if its too high up. 

I don't see a problem with adding some nice shrubs with your herbaceous perennial. I think it would add a nice layer to your planting. Evergreen hebes are a good idea for smaller spots and would compliment the hornbeam.

Good luck and do update this post with some photos when you're done!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!