Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Oak Tree Shedding Bark

Over the last couple of weeks my mature Oak tree has been shedding bark from the trunk, the exposed wood has several deep pitted areas, seems quite damp and there are signs of wood lice. The bark around the exposed area seems quite loose and is easy to pull off. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this and ever hopeful, how to treat it? Thanks.  

Uploaded files:
  • s20220515_154705.jpg
  • s20220515_154641.jpg
  • s20220515_154647.jpg
  • s20220515_154651.jpg

Hi Warren,

Thanks for posting your question. How very strange and concerning that your oak tree is shedding bark. Other than the loss of bark it looks really healthy.

My immediate thought looking at the pictures is that a woodpecker may have been paying you a visit given the small shot holes in the existing trunk. Then peeling off the bark either for nesting, to eat grubs or woodlice or tap the tree for sap as food.

If it was lower down I'd think maybe rabbits but these telltale holes indicate to me a woodpecker.

The issue with damaged tree bark is it allows infections to get into otherwise healthy trees. If an entire ring of bark is removed from any tree it will kill it. This is known as ring barking and must be avoided at all costs.

The woodpecker may be pecking to remove insects or woodlice from a damaged part of the bark. The woodlice may be eating any damaged or dead material. I'd recommend covering the area with a breathable membrane, some plastic netting loosely tied or some lengths of rope around the trunk temporarily. Amongst this, some bird scarers such as old CDs may help. You don't want to use plastic as it will cause it to sweat and risk more infection. 

The good news is it should be fatal unless it gets infected or the ring barking occurs. I'd given the wound a quick clean removing any dead bark and woodlice to help it along.

Do let us know how you get on.

Lee

Thanks Lee, that certainly sounds plausible as we have a local green woodpecker! Will take remedial action sas you suggest.

Is there anything that can be applied to the wound to reduce the risk of infection?

Thanks Warren

Online garden design courses

Share this now!