Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Laurel Shrub roots & drainage issue with neighbours

Hi All,

We have a laurel shrub which has always been at the front of our house since we moved in 20 years ago.  We quite like its evergreen nature and the level of privacy it affords us.

However, our neighbour has been complaining of late that there are roots in the drainage in the ground which runs across his front garden.  He claims the roots are coming from our laurels which are almost 2m away from the drains.

Could this be true?  I am aware that conifers can cause problems (hence had one removed from our front garden) with drainage but I always understood laurels to be non invasive?

I just want to find a solution to this if indeed the roots are from my laurels.  I am hoping I do not have to uproot and destroy these beautiful shrubs.

Regards

Nad

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi @nad

Thanks for your question about Laurel shrubs and their roots. 

What types of laurel are there?

There are several Laurel species, so it's important to identify which plant species we are dealing with. I'm going to assume it is either 'Bay' Laurel (Laurus nobilis) or Cherry Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus). 

Common laurel species listed below will have different characteristics.

• Prunus laurocerasus (Cherry Laurel)
  • Prunus lusitanica (Portuguese Laurel)
  • Prunus laurocerasus 'Etna'
  • Prunus laurocerasus 'Caucasica'
  • Laurus nobilis (Bay)

It's always worthwhile trying to identify the exact species of any given plant such as Laurel as this will help guide advice and pruning.

It would be super helpful if you could let us know how big the Laurel is and, ideally add a picture to this forum. Below is an example of Cherry laurel on the right for other readers of this hedging plant type. I'm going to assume it's either Cherry Laurel or a Bay Laurel. If you're looking to buy Laurel shrubs, then Thompson & Morgan have a great selection on maill order here. (This is an affiliate link so if you do choose to buy receive a small commission that helps keep this blog free to use!)

How big can Bay Laurel get?

Bay Laurel is one of the slower-growing laurels for hedging. Growing just 10cm a year. Making it super easy for pruning and growth control. You can also hard prune these back easily without any drama.. You can tell if it's a bay Laurel as the leaves are matt evergreen, not glossy green. They are also smaller and more delicate than Cherry Laurel leaves.

How big can cherry laurel get?

Cherry laurels are a fast-growing shrub or hedging plant. Usually found on new build housing estates as a quick way of screening off properties with a glossy evergreen foliage.They can get up to 5m tall and 3-4meters wide if left unpruned. Though it will take 10-15 years to reach this ultimate size.

How much does cherry laurel grow in a year?

They can grow upto 60cm a year when established. Usually, around 30--60cm per year.

Are Cherry laurels invasive?

Although Laurel, Prunus laurocerasus, also known as Cherry Laurel can grow upto 5m tall their roots are not normally known to be invasive.

Why do tree roots cause damage to buildings?

It's important to address why most tree roots cause damage to buildings, fences or foundations. It's not because their roots penetrate concrete foundations but because of their water usage drying out the soil. Large trees, in particular conifers can literally suck the moisture out of the ground, causing its texture, structure and density to change. This, in turn, can cause a shift in building foundations. Due to the fact, the soil structure has changed and the buildings weight and foundations were not originally built for that type of ground, so things can shift and move. 

Unless your Laurels are super huge, I very much doubt that they are causing any issues. Especially given the fact they will be removing moisture, so even if they are near a land drain they are probably beneficial for this purpose. 

The best course of action with neighbours is to try and resolve it amicably. May be ask to inspect whatever evidence your neighbour thinks they have. Another idea is to hire a professional arborist to come and do some digging and write a report. That way, it can take the heat out of the issue.

If you can upload photos on this thread then the Ninjas can help with more specific advice.

Happy gardening!

Online garden design courses

Share this now!