Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Is my evergreen Viburnum salvageable from disease?

I've got an evergreen Viburnum (not sure of variety) that's been in my back garden since before we moved in 23 years ago. A couple of years ago it was mildewy but seemed to recover. Last year about half the leaves turned brown and brittle so I removed them.Dead leaves

Trunk

This year the remaining leaves have gone brown too so I have again removed the affected branches so there are no leaves left. A few new leaves growing from the trunk are also brown. I am guessing this might be Botryosphaeria? If so, will the plant survive?

Should I get it removed completely? Could I grow something up the remaining stem? Can I grow something else in the same place?

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you

Hi @nickyb

Thanks for your comment about your Viburnum.

I believe this one is Viburnum davidii. Hard to tell without seeing the leaf in full colour! I think you're right about the Botryosphaeria attacking the plant and causing the damage.

What is Botryosphaeria?

Botryosphaeria is a genus of fungi that includes several plant pathogens known to cause diseases in a wide range of woody plants, including trees, shrubs, and vines. These fungi typically infect plants through wounds or stressed tissue, leading to various symptoms such as cankers, dieback, leaf spots, and fruit rot.

Botryosphaeria infections can weaken or kill affected plants, posing significant challenges to gardeners and the world of horticulture. Don't worry, though, Nicky it's actually quite common, usually from wet summers after the shrub has been pruned or damaged by wind/animals.

How to cure Botryosphaeria or Viburnum brown leaves

Treatment methods for Botryosphaeria infections in plants typically involve a combination of cultural practices, i.e. things the gardener can do themselves with tools or homemade remedies and chemical control, i.e. sprays, and fungicides. Here are some common treatments.

• Pruning: Remove infected branches or cankers from the plant, making sure to cut several inches below the visible symptoms. This helps prevent the spread of the disease to healthy tissue. Always use clean sharp secateurs.
  • Sanitation: Clean pruning tools between cuts to avoid spreading the fungus to healthy parts of the plant or other plants in the vicinity. Dispose of infected plant material properly to prevent further contamination or even burn infected material Nicky, never compost or throw on a muck heap as the fungus survives and then spreads.

• Promoting Plant Health: Maintain optimal growing conditions for the plant, including proper irrigation, fertilization, and mulching. Healthy plants are better able to resist disease and usually a good peat free compost mulch twice a year helps.

• Fungicides: In severe cases, especially in commercial orchards or nurseries, fungicides may be necessary to control Botryosphaeria infections. However, these can cause more harm than good as they drift onto other plants and into the ecosystem, affecting beneficial fungi.

• Avoiding Stress: Minimize environmental stressors such as drought, excessive heat, or injury to reduce the plant's susceptibility to Botryosphaeria infections. If a branch gets damaged in summer, prune it straight off.

• Monitoring: Regularly inspect plants for symptoms of Botryosphaeria infection, such as cankers, dieback, or leaf spots. Early detection allows for prompt intervention and better disease management.

Unfortunately, Nicky, looking at your Viburnum, it's not going to survive. I would dig it up, chop it up and bin it. However, you can still plant in its place, just make sure you rake up any fallen leaves or pruning material so the fungus can't continue.

Also don't lose hope, all of us Garden Ninjas, even I, lose plants to disease every now and then. I'm just glad you're clever enough to deal with it rather than just ignore it!

All the best

Lee Garden Ninja

Thanks so much for getting back to me and confirming my worst fears - looking back I think it's been brewing for a few years and came to a head this year and last. 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!