Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hi Everyone!

Hello everyone,

I'm Jo and I am new to the community. My husband and I just bought a house with 0.25 acres of garden. The garden has been terribly neglected by the previous residents and I cannot wait to get my hands dirty - literally - to return it to its former glory. We already did a little survey and apart from some old trees there is little that is worth saving - lots of brambles and mostly wilderness. 

Whilst we are enthusiastic gardeners, our experience is limited - especially with regards to a complete new design of that scale. We will take our time with the garden and will probably need lots of advice throughout our gardening journey, so thank you all a lot in advance for sharing your expertise and experience. 

Best regards

Jo

Lee Garden Ninja and FlowerAngel1 have reacted to this post.
Lee Garden NinjaFlowerAngel1

Hi Jo

I have just joined the forum today. My husband and I too have also just moved into a property and the garden is also so badly neglected and a project garden. There is ivy that has taken over everywhere and is like a carpet on the ground and has completely taken over & covers most of the fences which have mostly  falling down with age and pressure of all it all, brambles and everything is wild and unkept , never seen anything like it 🙂  . We put our gloves on today and started clearing but it is a big job but very satisfying seeing the progress.We do have two lovely trees which bring in lots of the birds which is really lovely to watch as we have never had tress in a garen before. I will be asking some questions about them in the other sections.. We love gardening but feeling a little overwhelmed with it but so keen to get stuck in and improve the garden, . Good luck with your garden venture 🙂

Quote from Jo on 2nd January 2023, 10:46 am

Hello everyone,

I'm Jo and I am new to the community. My husband and I just bought a house with 0.25 acres of garden. The garden has been terribly neglected by the previous residents and I cannot wait to get my hands dirty - literally - to return it to its former glory. We already did a little survey and apart from some old trees there is little that is worth saving - lots of brambles and mostly wilderness. 

Whilst we are enthusiastic gardeners, our experience is limited - especially with regards to a complete new design of that scale. We will take our time with the garden and will probably need lots of advice throughout our gardening journey, so thank you all a lot in advance for sharing your expertise and experience. 

Best regards

Jo

Quote from Jo on 2nd January 2023, 10:46 am

Hello everyone,

Best regards

Jo

Lee Garden Ninja and Jo have reacted to this post.
Lee Garden NinjaJo

Hi FlowerAngel,

It is a labour of love, right? And yes, so satisfying - one of the things I love about gardening is that you see results so quickly. I feel overwhelmed at times too, but then I just focus on a small area of the garden or even just one project (like doing some maintenance pruning on the old yew tree) and try not to think of all the other tasks that still need to be done.

Best of luck with your garden. I'm looking forward to some "before-after-pictures" down the line. 🙂

Jo

FlowerAngel1 has reacted to this post.
FlowerAngel1

Hi @flowerangel1 and @jo-sadsad

Great to hear you chatting about similar garden goals!

Tackling overgrown gardens can feel overwhelming but take it in stages. With large renovation projects I usually get a list going on jobs and apply a rank of most important. Examples would be to clear paths or prune back access to garden areas or buildings. So you get the function or use of the garden first. Then move further down the list!

Ive loads of blog guides here on my siteblog guides here on my site plus my YouTube channel to get you started.YouTube channel to get you started. However this forums the place to post photos, ask questions and get loads of other feedback. A blended approach of learning and getting feedback without any judgement just help! 

Right crack on and we hope to see what you achieve in the near future!

Lee

Jo and FlowerAngel1 have reacted to this post.
JoFlowerAngel1

Thanks Lee! 🙂

I looked at some of your videos and they are so helpful.  

FlowerAngel1 has reacted to this post.
FlowerAngel1

Thank you for your advice Lee. I watched a few of your videos and they are so helpful , they will be very useful for some of the things I need to tackle in the garden 🙂 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!