Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Death to the dock weeds! How to remove docks?

We've just bought a beautiful cottage which has been standing empty for the last couple of years.
Unfortunately right around the side of the cottage, the garden and lovely gravel driveway are full of dock plants.
What is the best way to get rid of them?  They seem to have tap roots like tree trunks!
Trying to dig them out in the driveway and side of the cottage isn't an option.  We are keen not to use any weedkillers as the entire area is a haven for insects and wildlife and we intend to keep it that way.
Unfortunately there are just hundreds of the damn plants!

Hi @flo

Congratulations on moving to what sounds like an idyllic house!

Dock plants do have huge tap roots, which is why they are so tenacious as plants and weeds!

I'm afraid the only way to get rid of them is by manually using one of the many tools I discuss here in my organic wee removal guide.

The only other option is glyphosate, though I'm loath to ever recommend it due to the damage the sprays do to the ecosystem and the rest of the wildlife. The one way I would ever condone its use is with the gel applicator just to each weed individually so it don't drift or spray onto other plants. However, once you've spent a day squatting around carefully applying it, you may have well used a hori hori and just dug them out instead!

I know that's probably not the answer you want, but it is the best option for an ethical gardener.

The last option is to put on an amazing buffet, invite all your friends for a 'dock pulling competition' and then have cocktails or mocktails to celebrate once done. Job done in one afternoon and smiles to be had.

Happy gardening.

Lee Garden Ninja

Thanks so much - extremely helpful and I'll be following your suggestion! "Dock weeding party"!

Is there a certain time for weeding? Our neighbour has suggested we leave the docks until spring as they are a favourite for wintering insects.

Which I can imagine! Some are a soggy, slimey mess.

Hi @flo

The best time would be the end of February as most overwintering insects will have weathered the worst of the weather. One other idea is to remove them ASAP on the first dry day and then leave them on a pile on top of some bags or tarpaulin so anything that's living on them can survive a bit longer. Then come March, when they are all wet and pretty much dead, put them in your green bin.

Don't try to home compost docks as they nearly always survive!

All the best and let us know how you get on!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!