Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Choosing a tree for a sunny garden

Hello

I want to plant a tree in my sunny south garden which can also get quite windy.  I have two silver birches already there and would like the tree to go alongside them on the boundary at the back.  I don’t want my new tree to grow too big.  Have been thinking perhaps an Amelanchier but would welcome any other suggestions.  I am thinking of a medlar tree over the other side at some point.   Any input gladly received.  Big thanks I’m new on here today.

Sarah 

Hi @sarah-l

Thanks for getting in touch about choosing trees for your garden. Trees are a wonderful addition to any garden no matter what size and my view is every new build house should come with at least one tree planted in the back garden and one in the front for wildlife, flood defence and privacy. (You may be able to tell how much I love trees!!) 

Based on your silver birch and the fact you don’t want it to get too big then a Medlar would be a fabulous tree to include. Not only because they are rare but because of their winter fruits. I’ve written about Medlars here extensively!!

Fruit trees are great for all garden sizes as they encourage pollinators like bees and are often overlooked. But they serve as early nectar and pollen which our honey bees really need. 

Have a look at Medlar ‘Nottingham’ which is self fertile so will fruit without other Medlar trees being present. You can buy them online as you g whips and they’re fuss free to plant and grow. Super slow without taking over. You won’t regret it!

Happy gardening!

Lee

Sarah L has reacted to this post.
Sarah L

Thank you v much I love medlar trees and keep looking them up, so will go and buy one.

Sarah 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!