Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Are my leylandii doomed?!

It was -6.5 here in Worcestershire last night, the garden has been a frozen winter wonderland all day. It's forecast to drop even colder tonight. So you can imagine my shock to find that while we popped out for a few hours, our tree guy had been to give our leylandii hedge its annual cut! Question is, will cutting them in this absolutely freezing weather kill them?  🥶🙁

Hi @cathycrochet

Thanks for asking about pruning hedges in winter or frost.

Why shouldn't you ever prune hedges in the frost

The quick answer is we should NEVER prune plants or hedges with heavy frost.

Why?

Because the frost will damage the freshly cut tissue, meaning it's more susceptible to disease and fungus. They simply don't get enough time to seal and heal before the frost gets in, adding moisture and tissue damage.

Are your llellandi doomed? Probably not, as conifers are some of the toughest evergreens that are used to sub-zero temperatures. It won't have done them any good, but compared to a privet or cherry laurel, it will probably do the least damage. What may happen is sap will bleed out and weaken them. What I'd suggest is having a chat with your gardener about not doing that again and giving them a good mulch in the spring with some peat-free compost.

Here's my ultimate guide to hedge pruning to assist further.

Do let us know how you get on and post some pictures if you want some further advice.

Lee

CathyCrochet has reacted to this post.
CathyCrochet

Thank you so much for your reply Lee, super helpful as always! I'll have a chat with the tree guy and keep an eye on the hedge, and then keep my fingers crossed the poor old hedge survives its icy savaging! I'll report back in spring in case it's helpful to anyone else in future. 

Thanks again for your advice 👍💚

Online garden design courses

Share this now!