Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to protect plants in Winter?

Hi I’m a new gardener and I want know how to protect plants in winter. I have germanium’s, nasturtium, all bee butterflies attracting plants and I read a poly tunnel could help however another site said use fleece and another site said use both, I’m super confused.

Hi @helen1980

Thanks for your question about how best to protect plants during the winter.

As a rule of thumb only 'tender perennials' need over wintering. These are plants that come back year after year but won't survive frost. Things like Cannas and subtropical plants.

The plants you've mentioned are all annuals - meaning they only live for one year then die. So there is no need to over winter them as they won't survive any way. Make sure you ready my guide on plant types and read this article to better understand them.

As for the bee attracting plants I'd need more detail on the specific plants first to advise.

How to know which plants need protection in the winter:

As a general rule of thumb:

• Herbaceous perennials don't need winter protection
  • Half hardy plant's do need winter protection

As for using a polytunnel here's some further guidance on when you would use one space allowing.

A polytunnel, also known as a polyethylene or poly hoop greenhouse, can be used for various purposes. Here are some common uses of a polytunnel:

• Plant propagation: Polytunnels provide an ideal environment for starting seeds and propagating plants. The controlled climate inside the polytunnel helps maintain consistent temperature, humidity, and protection from extreme weather conditions. It allows you to extend the growing season and produce healthy seedlings before transplanting them to the garden.

• Extending the growing Season: One of the primary purposes of a polytunnel is to extend the growing season. It provides a sheltered environment for tender or heat-loving plants, allowing you to grow crops beyond the traditional growing season. With a polytunnel, you can start planting earlier in the spring and continue growing crops later into the fall or even throughout the winter in some regions.

• Crop production: Polytunnels are often used to grow a wide range of crops, including vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers. The protected environment helps create optimal growing conditions, such as increased temperature, humidity control, and protection from pests and diseases. It can result in higher yields and better quality produce.

• Protection from harsh weather: Polytunnels offer protection from extreme weather conditions, such as frost, hail, heavy rain, or strong winds. They act as a shield, reducing the risk of crop damage and allowing plants to thrive even in challenging weather conditions.

• Pest and disease control: A polytunnel can provide a physical barrier against pests, such as insects, birds, and small animals, reducing the need for chemical pesticides. It also helps limit the spread of diseases, as the enclosed structure creates a controlled environment with limited exposure to pathogens.

• Experimentation and research: Polytunnels are used by gardeners, farmers, and researchers to conduct experiments, trials, and research projects. They provide a controlled and easily adjustable environment, allowing for the testing of different growing techniques, plant varieties, and climate factors.

• Storage and workspace: Polytunnels can serve as storage areas for garden tools, supplies, and equipment. They can also double as a workspace for potting, plant maintenance, and other gardening activities.

I hope that helps!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!