Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to fix a weed infested lawn?

Hey, 

First time poster coming straight in with a big question! We moved into our new home last month and I’ve only just got around to tidy, cut and strim the garden.

It’s pretty bad. I think previous owners had a trampoline! 

Lots of weeds, dead areas of grass, and it’s very uneven. 

I’ve watched a handful of YouTube videos, but it seems like for someone very new to gardening (we’ve never had grass before!) it seems like a mammoth task ahead. 

Could someone give some friendly pointers / tips on how you would start to reinvigorate the lawn here? 

I’m guessing the first start would be to deweed! We have 2 young kids and a dog so unsure of best weed killer to use. 

Thanks. 

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_7286.jpeg
  • IMG_7285.jpeg

Hi @awowen10,

Thanks for your comment. Don't worry—you're not alone as a new gardener who feels overwhelmed by what to do with their new garden. Luckily, you found the Garden Ninja community, so you have a huge amount of beginner-friendly advice to help guide you with this site and my YouTube channel.

That lawn certainly does need some attention but looking at the size of it, don't be too put off. There is no more than a weekend's worth of work there. Here is what I would do to revive that lawn and remove the weeds. 

How to remove weeds from a lawn

Step 1 -  Remove perennial tap-rooted weeds by hand

The first thing I would do is remove the large weeds, like Dandelions or Docks, by hand. Use a hori hori, knife or weeder to lift out the tap roots. This is stage one.

Step 2 - Add a feed and weed treatment to the lawn

I would then consider applying a weed and feed mix which both gives the grass a nutrient boost but also selectively combats the rest of the weeds. Apply this based on the packaging a week or two before the next couple of steps.

Step 3 - Aerate the lawn with a fork

Work your way across the lawn with a garden fork at intervals. Spike the lawn, wiggle the fork and continue until the whole lawn has been aerated, this will help with drainage and open up the soil structure.

Step 4: Scarify the lawn

This is the bit that most new gardeners skip. Hire a scarifier for your lawn. This is a machine that slices through the lawn rhizomes, creating fresh new growth and lifting out moss and dead grass. It looks and feels brutal, but it is the best way to renovate your lawn. I would do this either in early spring or in autumn. Your lawn is going to look awful afterwards, but it will bounce back better than ever.

Step 5: After scarification, overseed the lawn

This is the final step to help boost the area where the trampoline was. The scarification will open up the soil, so scatter the seeds as per the instructions on the packet and water. Then, wait a few weeks for it to germinate.

If I were you I may do the first 3 steps and then scarify in Autumn so you're not staring out at a messy lawn for the next few weeks, or you may want to bite the bullet and just get it sorted!

Do post pictures when you've completed these steps or you may want to book a consultation with me to see how you can transform this space into a gorgeous garden!

All the best

Lee Garden Ninja

Online garden design courses

Share this now!