Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Solar Water Features: What size solar pump should I get?

Hi, I've decided to install a 60cm granite sphere water feature in my garden, but I cannot find a definitive answer to what size solar pump I will need.  The solar pumps run on litres per hour, but I suspect I will need a stronger solar pump than an equivalent electric pump.  Does anyone have any experience or advice on this please?

Hello Jini,

Your installing Granite Sphere which is 60cm, in old money this is 2 Foot, being an old codger I like feet and inches, I know pump capacities can be shown in litres per hour, but you also need to think about the pumps maximum height.

Let me explain, you have your Sphere, under that Sphere you will need a container for the water, lets go silly, if your sump or water container is 5Ft deep,  the pump has got to push the water up from the bottom of that container 5Ft, and through the hole in your Sphere which is 2Ft, therefore your pump has got to be able push water upwards comfortably to a height of 7Ft.

I would suggest that you buy a pump that is bigger more powerful for height and litres per hour than your requirements, I am not talking about a pump being bigger in actual size, I am talking fountain height and Sphere size, the reason being, some pumps when purchased come with a Flow Valve already fitted, this means you can turn the valve down, as in turning your taps indoors down, water flow/pressure “Down” to your requirements. It is no good buying a pump that will struggle only giving you enough pressure to push your water up 4Ft high.

So check the size of the sump/water container your going to purchase, this for under your Sphere, if it’s 2Ft deep (60cm) add to this your Sphere height 2Ft (60cm) you get a total of 4Ft (120cm) you need a pump that will give you a minimum height of 4Ft, better to get a pump that gives you 6Ft and reduce the pressure, its then not running flat out, as you are buying a Sphere you only require the water to flow out of and down the Sphere’s sides, I presume not coming out of the Sphere looking like a fountain.

So look for a combination Litres per hour and most pump manufacturers will also give, fountain or head height, remember go a bit more powerful than required, you can always turn the power down, hope it goes well.

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi Jini,

Fantastic advice as always from Bob one of the Garden Ninja sensei members!

I've very little to ad other than always working out the height the water needs to be lifted and also the diameter of the hole which with some maths can allow you to work out the litres an hour the pump can move.

How to choose a solar water pumps size?

I always buy a bigger size pump than I need as you will find over time it slows down. Also, the rates that pumps are sold at are for clean water with no debris. In real life, your pump and pond/reservoir will contain all sorts of bits and detritus that the pond pump filter will capture. However, that increases the resistance for the pump so bare than it mind.

With a solar pump, I always find their listed litres per hour are also based on direct maximum sunlight which most gardens won't get. 

In most cases I would always recommend a wired mains pump for consistency but if that's not a possibility just choose a larger solar pump than you think you need. I would advise for this they will be at least in the £120 bracket if not more as guidance. A solar panel that has a battery to retain charge is also worthwhile vs a solar pump that only pumps when the suns out. ie no storage capacity.

Happy gardening!

Online garden design courses

Share this now!