Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Soil types for raised beds

Hello, what ratios of soil types are recommended for large raised beds for plants? I've seen compost with top soil mentioned, but I am not 100% on if compost means general purpose or organic material such as manure. Thank you.  

Hi @dragon19

This is a fantastic question which often gets overlooked when designing raised beds. Knowing what soil mix to use for your raised beds is really important. Let's get down and dirty with soil!

What soil to fill a raised bed with:

With any container or raised bed, you want a soil /compost blend that's both moisture retentive but doesn't get waterlogged. The RHS often list this as 'Moisture retentive yet free draining' which can be really confusing for beginner gardeners. How can it be both? Think of it more as not too much of one or the other instead.

The type of soil you use in a raised bed depends on the size of the bed and what you're growing.

For veg, you need high nutrient peat free compost.

For all else you need a mix of soil and compost with lower nutritional values.

For large deep raised beds ie. 40cm deep and above, I tend to go with a mix of 75% topsoil and 25% compost or organic matter (ie well-rotted manure or leaf mould). This is because compost is expensive and sinks quickly. It makes for expensive yearly top-ups with tonnes of compost.

For smaller raised beds ie 20cm high, I use 100% compost. This is because it's easier to replenish, and the soil underneath them is only ever 20cm from the plant roots. 

How often to replenish raised beds compost?

If you're growing vegetables and hungry plants like roses, then you need to top up your raised beds with fresh peat-free compost each year. Usually in Autumn, ready for the next spring.

If you're growing herbaceous perennials, then I tend to top up the bed only if the level drops, ie compost gets used up; This is because herbaceous perennials, shrubs and even fruit trees don't need as much food as annuals (plants that only live and produce in one year then die).

Please try and avoid peat-based compost. They are incredibly damaging to our peat bogs and wetlands. Peat-free composts are just as good and in some terms, last longer! ie wool or bracken-based ones like Dalefoot.

Hope that helps!

Thank you Lee so much for your very informative answer! As a beginner, it is so hard to know where to start. Many thanks.

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja
Online garden design courses

Share this now!