Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Can I plant a new tree or shrub during frost or wet weather?

I recently had a witch hazel tree delivered.  In hindsight it was probably better to hold off a few weeks given the very wet and now pretty cold weather we are having here.  I don't know if its ok to plant the tree outside yet as there is still a frost expected and the tree is quite young (only in a 2L pot).  Whats the best thing to do? I do have a cold frame (if I can reshuffle my 80+ venus fly traps!) so I did wonder if it could go in there till next month when the frost risk has hopefully passed, but our weathers so balmy it'll probably be a heatwave next! Any suggestions?

Hi @tankboy74

With any new plant, you want to avoid planting in frost, heavy downpours or heatwaves. Usually, these are the exception, but with the current climate crisis, we are seeing more and more of these freak weather conditions.

You'd be surprised how tough perennials, trees and shrubs are though. You don't need to totally baby sit them and as long as its not icy or crazy hot it's just best to get the plants into the ground ASAP. I would avoid keeping them indoors with central heating as it confuses them in thinking its summer when it isn't and can throw the plants out of season.

I'd pop the witchhazel some where sheltered outside until you can plant it. I wouldn't put it under glass as it will confuse it. Then plant once the weather is a bit nicer!

For other Ninjas, here are some additional tips on what to do if you're trying to plant when there are frosts or heat waves!

How to plant during frost or a headwave to protect plants

Protecting new plants from frost or a heatwave before planting them in the garden requires some preparation and care. Here's how you can do it:

• Choose Suitable Planting Time: Before purchasing new plants, research the average last frost date in your area or heat wave. Aim to purchase plants after this date or when the weather is consistently warmer to reduce the risk of frost damage.

• Keep Plants Under Glass or a Cold Garage: If you've already purchased new plants but are waiting to plant them outdoors, keep them indoors in a sheltered location such as a garage, shed, or greenhouse. This protects them from frost or heat until the weather improves.

• Provide Adequate Shelter: If keeping plants indoors isn't feasible, provide temporary shelter for them outdoors. Place them against a south-facing wall or under a covered porch where they are shielded from frost and harsh winds.

• Use Protective Coverings: Cover the plants with frost cloths, old blankets, or burlap sacks to provide insulation and protection from freezing temperatures. Ensure that the covers are secured loosely to prevent damage to the plants.

• Water Plants Appropriately: Keep the soil around the plant moist but not waterlogged. Moist soil retains heat better and can help protect plant roots from frost damage. Water the plants early in the day to allow excess moisture to evaporate before nighttime temperatures drop. Put the plants on watering trays in the example of a heat wave.

• Monitor Weather Forecasts: Stay informed about weather forecasts in your area, especially during the spring when frost is still a concern. Cover plants with protective materials when frost is predicted, and remove covers during the day when temperatures rise.

I hope that helps!

Lee Garden Ninja

Online garden design courses

Share this now!