Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New Garden looking for a Medium size evergreen shrub or very small tree?

Hello to all,

I have made a border depth 5ft 20ft long approx' I wish to include something just to cover a little more of the garage wall, it's not my garage, so would not dream of nailing a trellis to it, also I have to take into consideration the garage foundations.

Gets a lot of afternoon / evening sun, on the far right I have planted 3 laurels to act a wind break, get a brisk wind coming either way across the garden, in the bed, hidden away a bit are a Forsythia, Spiraea Nipponica, next season I will include some more tall Phlox to get a bit more colour peeking through, unfortunately the plants seen at my local garden centres grow either to high, or to much spread, your ideas appreciated, thanks. 

Uploaded files:
  • Front-Garden.jpg

Hi Bob,

Have you considered a small layered shrub such as a Cornus cotroversa aka the Wedding Cake Tree?

Looking at your flower bed that could work wonderfully against the brick wall and bring bright white flowers in the spring. Not too vigorous and easy to maintain. See the one I recently planted above against a bespoke screen.

What are other Ninjas' suggestions?

Thank you very much, I'll see the folks at the nursery and see if they can assist, I have seen a picture of one of these on the web, it was in bloom and looked very nice, but it never crossed my mind, they always looked too big.
Advice from an expert, you've just go to go with it, again thanks. I have just noticed the edit button, so, just to let the folks know, the picture is just the sort of middle piece of my front garden, it was a piece of land at the front of my house that was looked after by the council, therefore a green space consisting of weeds!! I had the opportunity to purchase it, and I started work on my new bit of garden July 1st 2020. The big thing at the moment is let your grass grow wild, "sorry" after 20 plus years of looking at a patch of weeds I wanted a fairly decent lawn and some flowers, so it was pinch some plants from my back garden, buy some plants, scarify the weed bed, re-seed, and I'm going to seed again this autumn, mistakes made "yes" Catnip and Gaura, went crazy, should have planted at the back of the bed, main thing I have to concentrate on is getting the plant height correct in the bed, Lee you make it look so easy 🙂

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja
Online garden design courses

Share this now!