Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New build small garden - what would you do?

Hello all! We have recently moved into a new-build (in Madrid, Spain) and we have a small garden we don´t really know what to do with. I have asked a couple of companies for advice but they have only given me one specific idea and I was wondering what other options there are. So far:

1. A lawn and border of plants around the fence (not so keen on a lawn as Madrid is very hot and dry in the summer and it will require a lot of water).
  2. Artificial lawn (hate this idea! I love plants and want everything to be real)
  3. Paving with a raised bed border (love this idea of a Mediterranean style garden, but paving turns out to be really expensive) - I have added 2 photos of design ideas we were given

One slight complication is we need to be able to put my husband's golf net in the garden (as you can see in the designed photos).

I am not afraid of hard work and would actually love to do what I can myself, but I also humbly acknowledge that I am a gardening beginner and need some advice!

So I´m curious - what would you do in this space? Oh, we also have 2 young kids.

Best wishes,

Gemma

Uploaded files:
  • Garden.JPG

Hi @gemma007

Thanks for your query.

This falls into full design, which is a paid for service I offer (see the disclaimer on the forum rules). You can book an online consultation here.

What I would advise though is to avoid artificial turf at all costs. Not only is it incredibly damaging to the environment but it also gets incredibly hot especially in Spain. You can read far more on this in my detailed why we should ban fake turf article here.

I'd advise permeable or natural paving materials which are cool underfoot and will tolerate the occasional downpour without the patio flooding, and the use of plants that like the hot and usually dry conditions of Madrid. Meditteranean garden design styles can be found here to assist you!

Happy gardening!

Lee

For the aesthetic part, given your interest in Mediterranean style, how about incorporating gravel paths with stepping stones? They can meander through areas of hardy shrubs and perennials that are well-suited to arid conditions - think lavender, rosemary, and other herbs that smell divine and thrive in your local climate.
For the practical part of the garden, you might consider a modular approach. Create a space that can be easily adapted, maybe using decorative screens that blend with the garden but can be moved when it's time to practice golf.
And for family-friendly seating, I'm partial to the idea of durable rattan furniture - it stands up well to the heat and is easy to maintain. Consider something like this dining set. It's practical, it looks great, and it's a wonderful place for family meals outdoors. Plus, it's pretty sturdy, so a little rough and tumble from the kids won't be an issue.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!