Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Moss covering soil

Hi all!

I'm reaching out with a question about moss. I have a large swath of lawn/meadow that is taken over with thick pads of moss. I believe one of the two varieties is sphagnum moss, though I'm not sure what the other moss is.

The moss has taken over in two sections of turf. One area (approximately 1/4 acre) is where my grandfather used to have an extensive vegetable garden, which was tilled annually and very productive. I haven't had a soil test done to get an accurate composition, but the garden has a lot of clay soil. The area is sunny and southwest facing. The other area is immediately adjacent to the former vegetable garden and was a wildflower meadow with lots of buttercups. The former wildflower meadow gets waterlogged in the spring (I don't think it used to when I was a child). There are no more wildflowers in the meadow. It mostly contains wool grass.

As I'm sure you can see from the leaves in the pictures, there are a few mature oak and maple trees that separate the former garden and meadow areas of moss. 

I'd like to establish a fruit orchard in this area, but I don't know if the moss signals a soil problem. What do I need to do to ensure that fruit trees can thrive here? In what used to be a veg garden, I'd like to plant pear, apple, and cherry trees. In the wetter area that used to be meadow, I'd like to plant paw paw trees.

Hi @jjacksonforsberg

Thanks for your question. Can you try and readd the photos as they haven’t uploaded. Alternatively email them to me at [email protected] so I can help. 

all the best 

Lee

Just reattached. I'll email as well to be on the safe side. Perhaps they were too large before.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your question about moss covering your soil. 

Moss is a wonderful and ancient plant genus. In fact it's one of the first plants ever to evolve. 

Moss is a small, non-vascular, green plant that belongs to the division Bryophyta in the plant kingdom. Unlike most plants, mosses do not have true roots, stems, or leaves. Instead, they have simple structures that serve similar functions. They are in my opinion wonderful plants (if they are in the right place). Mosses typically have a simple structure consisting of leaf-like structures arranged around a central stem called a "seta."

They are usually found in damp locations where they can absorb due or moisture via their leaves, remember they have no root system like a regular plant.

However, this leads them to quickly colonise damp and part-shaded spots. Which in your case leads to large areas of moss.

The good news is it's easily removable with a rake or even better a light scarification. You can then compost the moss 

Hire a scarifier from a tool station and use the video guide below. For most you only need the rake or very light scarification function to remove it.

With your damp meadow Julie it would be best to plant species that like damo wet conditions. Like Meadowsweet and Ragged robin. The reason the flowers have kind of died out is probably competition from the grass. This is why we always cut a meadow 3 times a year and REMOVE grass cuttings to reduce fertility. More on meadows here.

I look forward to helping you with the rest of your garden on the consultation you've booked.

Speak soon

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!