Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1’s Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it’s a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn’t say it to your mum’s face, then don’t post it here. Please don’t promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don’t ask for ‘cheeky’ full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Moving a mature Acer tree from a container to the ground

Hi

I've inherited a mature container grown acer (30years old)  Acer dissectum atropurpureum. I have currently placed it in a semi sheltered south facing aspect where it will get full sun 60% of the day and be protected from northly winds. What do I need to do to give it the best survival/growth conditions.

It looks a bit pot bound, it is very large already and took three people to move!

Thanks

Hi There,

Wow, what a feat and clearly someones looked after that Acer for all those years. Do you have a photo you can share with us?

Containers are a great way to grow plants and to be able to move them around. However, many larger shrubs and trees do ultimately all yearn to be in the ground. This is where they are most happy and can access water and nutrients without us gardeners having to intervene. With all container-grown plants, we need to water and feed them as access to these vital components is limited given the posts growing media gets exhausted or dries out quickly.

It sounds like you've already worked out the essential needs of all Acers or Japanese maples.

Japanese maples require the following planting conditions to thrive in the garden:

• Sheltered spot (away from wind mainly)
  • A mix of 30-70% sunlight but some dappled shade during the day (they scorch easily)
  • Free draining soil (but not fussy as long as it is not waterlogged)

When moving any shrub or small tree it's important to make sure you water it well the day before you lift it. Lift it early in the morning and then transplant it as quickly as possible. With large shrubs that grow quickly I always hard prune back 50% of the growth, with an Acer you don't need to do this as they are super slow growing. Pruning back vigorous shrubs just helps reduce the stress on their roots as you transplant them. Remember all transplanted plants have to reestablish in the ground which takes effort for them.

Ideally, I'd have moved the Acer when it was dormant in the winter to reduce this stress but it sounds like it's doing fine. I wouldn't add any feed or fertiliser if I'm honest apart from fruit and veg most plants don't need huge amounts of food. Acers are not hungry plants. 

What would benefit your Acer is a deep mulch this autumn of high-quality peat-free compost. It helps lock in moisture and will improve the soil around the tree. It also acts as a slow and steady feed rather than boosting the nutrients acutely like liquid or dry feeds do. 

Can you spot the two Acers in this design of mine? Both planted in the ground will slowly grow into small specimen trees adding some privacy. Both in this instance are fine without being fed as the soil was of good quality and they don't require huge amounts of intervention!

Do let the Ninja community know how you get on and please share a picture!

Happy Gardening.

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!