Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1’s Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it’s a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn’t say it to your mum’s face, then don’t post it here. Please don’t promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don’t ask for ‘cheeky’ full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Iris

Hello,

I have a huge clump of iris which I need to divide and reposition - any tips?

Lara

Dig up the entire clump of iris using a garden shovel or fork, be careful not to slice into the rhizomes with the shovel or stab them with the fork, should you do so, discard the damaged ones, they may cause rot and damage the plant.

Shake off loose dirt, and divide the large clump into sections by pulling it apart with your hands, if it’s too tough to pull apart find a gap in the rhizomes insert two forks back to back, and prize them apart.

Cut back the leaves too about three inches from the base, and then just replant where required.

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja
Quote from bob on 29th September 2021, 9:19 am

Dig up the entire clump of iris using a garden shovel or fork, be careful not to slice into the rhizomes with the shovel or stab them with the fork, should you do so, discard the damaged ones, they may cause rot and damage the plant.

Shake off loose dirt, and divide the large clump into sections by pulling it apart with your hands, if it’s too tough to pull apart find a gap in the rhizomes insert two forks back to back, and prize them apart.

Cut back the leaves too about three inches from the base, and then just replant where required.

Fab advice Bob, couldn't put it better myself! The only thing I would add is to leave part of the rhizome exposed to the sun (the flesh coloured wrinkly fat finger below the green growth) once replanted (ie above the soil) as this helps the Iris build its energy stores in the summer for flowering.

Good luck with your Iris division and the plethora of new plants you can create!!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!