Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How much grass in a small garden?

Is the general rule for a small garden to avoid having too big a lawn in order to make the garden look larger?  From what I've read this seems to be a common thing, and I'm thinking of putting in another border but the lawn is pretty large (grew it from seed having shifted tonnes of topsoil!) - I'm not after a redesign by the way just some thoughts on what others think.

Hi @tankboy74

The design issue with small gardens is that enthusiastic gardeners tend to try to cram as many things in as possible. Our brains think that adding a bit more of this will make the garden look fuller and feel more interesting. However, it's usually the opposite. All solid, cohesive garden designs tend to focus on a few things and do them well and at scale. With small gardens, the difficulty is that there is limited space, so what do I mean by scale?

The scale of design features relates to how well they fit and support the overall size and or property. For example, a tiny strip of lawn in a garden with huge borders looks at odds when you look at the scale compared to the house. Conversely, a massive lawn and tiny borders all around the edge also look off as there is no balance. Lots of smaller things can also throw out the scale. So adding lots of tiny plants or super dwarf trees can actually make the garden look smaller as their scale is off, i.e., They look too small even for a tiny urban garden!

The biggest culprit for odd scales and proportions is flower beds. Most people design them at around 60cm in new build and small gardens, which makes them look out of scale. Even in the smallest garden, a 1.2 meter deep border only only one side of the lawn looks better than a 60cm strip all around the edge. Catch my drift?

So with your lawn, yes a smaller lawn can make the garden look bigger if the borders are in scale and at least 1.2m deep. It allows you to properly plant them, see the video below as a guide.

The last thing about large expanses of lawns is that they can act as a drift for the eye. So your eyes just drift over them and to the edge of the garden. This means the garden is taken in far faster and therefore visitors lose interest quickly. You could always consider some island beds in your lawn to stop, which makes the space more dynamic.

Do let us know how you get on and post some pictures of the before and after!

Happy Gardening - Lee B

Online garden design courses

Share this now!