Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Citrus trees dropping leaves in greenhouse?

Hi, I'm new on here today, we live in Shrewsbury and have a large well established garden with a number of fruit trees, a small greenhouse (10 x 8ft) and a garden studio where my wife produces miracle drawings of all types of plants and animals (see her at oneillanimalart. com) :-). 

The main reason that I decided to act today is as follows;  We have three citrus trees in pots, two lemon and one lime, all around 2ft in height.  They are all over three years old and we keep them on the East facing patio during the summer and take them into the greenhouse (unheated) during the winter.  They have thrived very well until now but they all look as though they are dying, leaves drying out and falling, could it be just the strange weather that we've had this year?  I've been watering then very occasionally, not excessively, with Citris winter feed.  Any ideas?

Many Thanks for any advice....

TheGardener09 has reacted to this post.
TheGardener09

Hi Merlinius,

make sure your trees are not in a draught, not over or under watered in their dormant period, the lowest temperature really is about 10c, and it will not do my harm to wrap some fleece around them, should they be in a cold area.

Merlinius has reacted to this post.
Merlinius

Hello there and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have a lovely garden with lots of interesting features.

Regarding your citrus trees, it's possible that the strange weather this year could be a contributing factor to their decline. However, there are a few other things that could be causing the problem as well. Firstly, it's important to make sure that your trees are not getting too much water, as this can cause root rot and other issues. On the other hand, not getting enough water can also be problematic. It's a delicate balance!

Another thing to consider is whether the trees are getting enough sunlight. Citrus trees need plenty of direct sunlight in order to thrive, so if they are in a shady area this could be causing issues.

Finally, it's worth checking for any pests or diseases that could be affecting your trees. Sometimes even the smallest infestation can cause significant damage.

I hope this helps! Best of luck with your garden, and please let us know how your trees fare.

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja
Online garden design courses

Share this now!