Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ground cover ideas to go around winter/spring perennials?

Hi folks, our new-build wildlife-friendly garden is slowly taking shape with a bunch of trees and shrubs planted and 75 (!!) native hedgerow whips turning up at some point.

I'm after some suggestions for what to do with this corner in front of our cypresses, which we're trying to make into a mini woodland habitat. I've put in some wildflower bulbs right around the trees, and we're also planning to plant ferns to fill the space closer to the fence at the back as it's quite shady.

I've whacked in load of cyclamens, primroses, forget-me-knots, daisies and foxgloves in the bed in front just to fill the space, and I'm in search of ideas of what else to put in there that will mix in around them and give good ground cover for the rest of the year. Is there some kind of grass that would just fill in but not need mowing (so we don't mow up the plants!), or something else?  

Alternatively, I'm open for other suggestions about what to do with this bit next year- we can always move the plants elsewhere.

Thanks

Pic for reference (ignore the giant heap of horrible clay - that's going off to the tip...)

Uploaded files:
  • 20221030_093823.jpg

Hi @pondlife

Fantastic to see you're making such great leaps and bounds with your new garden. 

You've got a good mix of early spring flowers in that list which is a great pollen source for bees and early insects.

As for a mix of ground cover to help bulk it up in between, why not look up Luzula nivea (Snowy woodrush)? It's a woodland-style plant that looks a bit like a low grass. However, it's evergreen and, in spring has amazing white flowers.

Try adding to that some Tellima grandiflora (Fringecups) you can grow these super easily by seed, and all of a sudden, you've got a gorgeous scheme!

I'm sure other Ninjas will add their suggestions too! Here's a video to help you layer up plants when planting a new garden border to assist.

Happy gardening.

PondLife and HelenPD have reacted to this post.
PondLifeHelenPD

Thank you so much! These look like great ideas 🙂

HelenPD has reacted to this post.
HelenPD

Spring is a good time for plants that are more sensitive to cold temperatures. Some ground cover plants, like certain types of creeping sedum, can be planted in early summer. 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!