Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Green algae plague!

Hello All! 

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on how to get rid my beautiful, ‘used- to - be - black’   fence of what I think is a green algae outbreak please? The fence gets direct sun (when it makes an appearance!) until about midday, depending on the season.  I spent hours  painting the fence black hen I moved here 18 months ago and now it’s all green! Yuk! 

I’m not a great gardener, but keen!  Looking forward to retirement in 18 months… but until then, I only have weekends to ‘play’ in the garden. 

Happy gardening everyone and stay safe! 

Sue (Lee’s Standby Nan!) ?

Hello Sue,

There are numerous propriety cleaners on the market, don’t just look for Fence Cleaning Chemicals, look at “Decking Cleaners” as well, formulated to remove algae / mould from decks to prevent slipping.

First off how big is your fence? Is it a sufficient size that you could use a stiff bristled broom on it, which would mean a bit of hard work? or is it so long and high a pressure washer would be required?

Green algae / mould normally suggests a dampish environment and the affected wood retaining the moisture enabling the algae to continue to grow. You could make up your own solution of water / diluted bleach, pretty much the same type cleaner for removing mould from bathroom tiles, but be very careful on using bleach, it’s not good to get this on your skin, protective clothing is a must, and it may not be very good for any plants close by.

If you can clean the fence by hand I would suggest giving it a good scrub down first, getting off as much algae / mould as possible, then go over it again using a recommended cleaner available from your local garden centre or DIY store, if your fence is large, and the cleaner you purchased can be diluted  you could use a garden spray on the fence, and give that a good brush in.

You say that you have spent a lot of time painting your fence, I suggest that once you have removed the algae / mould, make sure you buy a “Stain & Anti Mould” wood preservative, mould after time will come back through ordinary paint.

One thing to look for, is your fence touching the soil? If it is, the wood will suck up the moisture from the ground, are there lots of leaves at the base of the fence, again these keeping moisture in, can you prune back a few branches of trees or shrubs if present to get a bit more light and air into the area, also could you rake any soil away from the base of your fence toward the garden.

Hope all goes well.

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hello Bob! 

Thank you so much for your  very prompt answer.  It’s not a massive fence, 6ft high by about 30ft… but oddly, it isn’t all green! 
Having read your detailed answer, I realise now that the fence is absorbing moisture from the soil, (horrid clay ) which is exacerbating the growth.  There are 2 panels that don’t touch the soil and have remained algae free.  

I think it’s probably more important to attend to the moisture absorption before I clean off the algae.  It wouldn’t be too big a task to brush off the algae initially, so that’s the plan!  

Thank you so much for your suggestions, much appreciated!

All the best and stay safe,

Sue  ?

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi Standby Nana / Sue!

Great to hear from you. Not so great that you've got a green algae outbreak!

Bob's advice  - as always is spot on - he's far faster than me to the forum. Mainly as I'm in a bit of a design frenzy for the next couple of weeks for Garden Rescue! 😉

The only advice I have to add is that sometimes overhanging tree branches can also cause a micro-climate for algae due to humidity and dripping rainfall onto the woodwork.

So to summarise algae on a garden fence is usually caused by:

• Excess moisture
  • Fence panels touching the soil and absorbing water
  • Overhanging trees causing rainwater or moisture to drip onto the fence
  • Humidity areas with little airflow

The other thing to consider is that this is all part of the wonderful world of plants and something somewhere will be benefitting from it. It may also help identify where you could use a statement plant such as a multistem or a gorgeous evergreen climber (climbing Hydrangea for example) to help disguise it! I make this suggestion for people who either can't clean their fences or are stuck with damper environments such as exposure.

There's always a solution and that's why this forum is such a great place. As you get a mix of ideas, suggestions and experiences. Real people with real answers. Lovely stuff!

Right back to trying to 'out design' Charlie Dimmock!

Speak soon Ninjas!

Lee

Hello Lee, 

Thank you for that advice… it’s much appreciated.  
I hadn’t thought that it might be beneficial to something, so thank you for pointing that out.  The idea of an evergreen climber sounds good, so I’ll have a ponder and treat myself to something. Just because it’s Tuesday. ?

Thanks again and take care, 

Sue / Nan ??

Online garden design courses

Share this now!