Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Garden design software recommendations

I recently started a garden design and construction business. Currently i'm using Sketchup and some hand drawings. However, finding Sketchup a bit costly. Can anyone recommend any other easy to learn/use software for garden designing that is more cost effective?

Hi Brian,

Good to hear from you and welcome to the world of landscaping and design.

The tools you use to visualise or quantify your designs can be quite tricky to get to use and fund when you start out.

I've used sketch up for years for quantities and surveying detail but always hand draw my own work to scale as part of the final presentation to clients and landscapers. As its part of my creative process but is time-consuming!

Sketchup is in my opinion the best piece of design software for landscaping. The cost can be prohibitive at first but there is a free online-only version you can use when you get started.

There is also Gardena as a free tool but is limited for more large-scale designs or presentations to clients.

If I were you and for building experience hand drawn scaled plans will help you learn far more about proportion and considering layouts than a drag and drop tool. That's my experience.

I'll open up this question to other garden designers to recommend their favourite free or paid for landscape or garden design software!

Lee

A useful new tool that I've found is https://rescapeai.com It's an AI generator that takes in a photo of your garden and generates in one of many styles a design unique to your garden.

Uploaded files:
  • garden-1.png

Thanks @calum

That looks like a super nifty AI tool to help people start the process of garden mood board ideas!

Lee Garden Ninja

Online garden design courses

Share this now!