Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Fruit tree pruning for cherries and tree guards explained

I am a novice to fruit trees and gardening. We planted younger fruit trees last year and this summer they have grown quite a bit. I knew that pruning is important but was reluctant to cut away all the nice foliage and branches. After watching your 2 videos ( pruning apple and pear trees), it has given me a good understanding on pruning fruit trees. I had watched few videos before yours, but found your videos and instructions were the best. Your videos were very informative and easy to follow. 

Hopefully, I can ask couple of questions here.

-  We also have a young cherry and plum tree. Do the same principles apply to these ( winter prune, achieve open goblet shape, remove 1/4 new growth, maintain one leader, encourage outward branch) ? 

- Do you recommend putting white paint on main stem of young fruit tree?  If so, any recommendations on which paint ?

- I noticed that in your video on pruning apple trees, there was a plastic tube around the main stem of a young apple tree ( see picture below from your video). Is this recommended for young fruit trees? Presumably to protect from insects ? 

Thank you 

Uploaded files:
  • Fruit-tree-guards.jpeg

Hi @sks

Great questions, and I'm glad you've enjoyed my fruit tree pruning guides. I'll pop links to them at the bottom for other Ninjas to benefit from.

Fruit tree pruning is so important for your trees' health and fruit production. So, let's get answers to your questions.

We also have a young cherry and plum tree. Do the same principles apply to these ( winter prune, achieve open goblet shape, remove 1/4 new growth, maintain one leader, encourage outward branch) ? 

Cherry trees and the Prunus genus of tree all need to be pruned BEFORE THE WINTER and never during the winter months. As they are highly susceptible to Silverleaf disease. For Cherry trees, prune them in late summer and or early spring instead. The early spring prune is the same as the winter one, and the late summer is the same as it is for apples. Cherry trees can be quite vigorous so don't be afraid to prune back 1/3 if the growth is long and whippy.

Do you recommend putting white paint on main stem of young fruit tree?  If so, any recommendations on which paint ?

I never use trunk paint or white paint on trees. You often see this when in the Mediterranean as a way to protect young trees from sun damage or insects. However, I've never seen a need for it in the UK. My experience also leads me to question whether you should ever do it. I think it can also do more harm than good by sealing a tree's cambium layer, which could lead it to suffocate if applied incorrectly. I'm also a firm believer in allowing all wildlife, good and bad to fight it out in the garden. A balance always appears in a diverse garden!

I noticed that in your video on pruning apple trees, there was a plastic tube around the main stem of a young apple tree ( see picture below from your video). Is this recommended for young fruit trees? Presumably to protect from insects ? 

These are known as tree guards and help protect new young whippy trees from rabbits and pests that can ring bark trees. Causing irreparable damage and sometimes killing the tree. 

Rabbit ring barking of trees, also known as rabbit girdling, refers to the damage caused by rabbits when they chew or gnaw around the base of tree trunks. This activity can result in the removal of bark in a ring-like pattern, exposing the underlying tissues and disrupting the tree's ability to transport nutrients and water.

Rabbit ring barking can have detrimental effects on trees, leading to weakened growth, disease susceptibility, and potentially even tree death if severe enough.

Impact of Rabbit Ring Barking:

• Nutrient and Water Transport Disruption
  • Stress and Weakening
  • Infection and Disease
  • Stunted Growth and Dieback

These plastic collars are only placed on the tree for the first year or two. Once the main stem is thick enough ie 2-3 inches thick rabbits won't be able to ring bark them and will move onto younger trees instead.

Hope that helps answer your questions!

Online garden design courses

Share this now!