Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Fig tree seems to be in autumn already (yellow leaves)

I have got a fig tree (planted spring last year) which I grow in a container. Since last week most of its leaves are starting to turn yellow. Is it because of the weather conditions (in Belgium we are experiencing the wettest summer in history) or is something else going on? Is there anything I can do to still turn this around during this growing season?

Uploaded files:
  • fig-tree.jpg

Hi Bart,

Thanks for getting in touch about your fig tree. I too have one in a pot and weirdly we too have had one of the wettest springs as well. In fact my fig got really waterlogged earlier in the year as well, its like we've synchronised our figs! Waterlogging can cause leaf drop and other issues. However, your fig doesn't look waterlogged.

Usually, the yellowing of plants leaves it down to a lack of nitrogen. Given your figs in a container, it could be this. The issue with container planting is that the plants are solely reliant on you providing most of the nutrients it needs. Over a year or two the plant can completely expend all of the nutrients in the compost.

With fig trees they do prefer to be planted in the ground as they are a large shrub/tree when mature. I know that in some gardens this isn't possible. They also like to be baked so put it in the warmest spot maybe near a wall or fence too. You may even get some fruit on really hot summers!!

I have my fig in a really large 30 litre pot. I feed mine once a year with either a 2 inch mulch of peat-free compost or a liquid feed of comfrey tea which I make myself. I'd recommend you repot it in a larger container and give it a mulch so that it helps feed the soil over the winter ready for next spring.

Good luck with your fig!

Lee

Bart has reacted to this post.
Bart

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Hi Bart and Lee!

I have a miss figgy tree, but as I didn’t want to have her grow too large for my small garden, I dug a large hole, and put her in a pot about 30 litres like Lee, then popped the pot in the hole in the border.. she’s produced a few figs and likes the sun! I have several fruiting things there, so feeding is easier! Good luck Bart!

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja
Online garden design courses

Share this now!