Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cercis canadensis Planting out of Forest Pansy?

Hi everyone, I’ve a Cercis canadensis that I potted into a really big porcelain pot on my patio a few years ago but I’ve now decided I think it needs to be planted into a border. I know it won’t have filled out the pot/container it’s currently in as it’s only been in there a maximum of three years. 

would it be ok to plant out now or would I risk killing it out there are any really cold months ahead and the t hasn’t got it’s Roots out and settled in? 

so should I wait until next spring to plant it out or go for it now? 

Any advice would be great. 

Hi @karlgardener0405

Thanks for your question.

You can plant any shrub from a container or pot until November in the UK as the real heavy frosts are Jan and February usually. Ideally, you plant things out in early spring or Autumn; this avoids extremes in temperature, such as frost or heat waves.

If you get it in the ground now, your Cercis will have plenty of time to establish its roots. All shrubs are better in the ground than in containers as they can establish far better and are not as reliant on you for food and moisture!

Happy planting.

Lee

karlgardener0405 has reacted to this post.
karlgardener0405
Online garden design courses

Share this now!