Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to get rid of brambles in the garden?

Hi,

First time poster! Really enjoying your YouTube channel.

I've just moved into an old house with a 1/4 acre garden. The previous owners sadly cut down all the trees and cultivated plants about 1yr ago; that means we have the exciting task of planning from scratch, but it's left us with a few issues. The brambles are out of this world! They're literally everywhere, with thick woody roots, trailing across the garden and waiting to devour the kids. The owners again cut everything back just before we moved in, but I can see they're going to take over once spring arrives (along with the nettle forest).

I've been hacking away at them for the last few weeks, but is there anything else we should be doing to prevent them from taking over? We want to live with the garden as it is for the first year, so we can work out what 1yr is actually like, so we're unlikely to do any major work, beyond maintenance. Long term, we're planning having different zones (meadow, vegetables, lawn, native hedges).

Thank you!

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi, sorry to say you have some work ahead, it's a long process but I would suggest, start cutting your brambles back from the opposite end to where it is rooted. 

Cut too a manageable handling length 10 to 12 inches, it is going to save you getting wrapped up in brambles and scratched to pieces, get a big waste bag, Cut it - Bag it, it's easier to work tidy. 

When it comes to the root end, I'm afraid it is digging time, you must when digging get all the root out, so patience is the word, dig right to the base of the root. 

Also I'm pretty sure that when you find the end of a bramble branch, the root end will be a fairly long distance away, it's just a matter of cutting back to the base, and again digging.

It makes sense that you are giving your garden a year to see what is growing, when it comes to the blank canvas stage, have a look at some of Lee's You Tube Videos, there are some that cover all that you are looking to do with your garden, also about your nettles, their roots luckily enough are not too deep, with thick gloves on grab a handful by the base and ease them up, put a fork underneath to assist if needed. 

Best of luck,

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja
Quote from thebadlizard on 24th January 2022, 5:04 pm

Hi,

First time poster! Really enjoying your YouTube channel.

I've just moved into an old house with a 1/4 acre garden. The previous owners sadly cut down all the trees and cultivated plants about 1yr ago; that means we have the exciting task of planning from scratch, but it's left us with a few issues. The brambles are out of this world! They're literally everywhere, with thick woody roots, trailing across the garden and waiting to devour the kids. The owners again cut everything back just before we moved in, but I can see they're going to take over once spring arrives (along with the nettle forest).

I've been hacking away at them for the last few weeks, but is there anything else we should be doing to prevent them from taking over? We want to live with the garden as it is for the first year, so we can work out what 1yr is actually like, so we're unlikely to do any major work, beyond maintenance. Long term, we're planning having different zones (meadow, vegetables, lawn, native hedges).

Thank you!

Hi Badlizard,

Firstly congratulations on your new garden and project. Also thanks for the kind words on my Youtube channel. I'm glad my gardening video guides are helpful. 

What a shame that they cut down the trees and shrubs, how shortsighted. However, it does give you a chance to reinvigorate the garden and make it your own!

Bobs answer is correct. It's a slow and steady chip, chip, chip away at the brambles that is needed.

To get rid of brambles you need to locate and dig up the crown. This is the source of the bramble and its energy the very base part of the creeping thorny stems!

How to remove brambles:

1. Wear super thick gloves or gauntlets.
  2. Cut back 1/5 of the thorny stems with hedge shears or secateurs.
  3. Locate the crown - the base of all the stems
  4. Using a sharp spade dig up the crown (it will look like a woody knot with roots protruding
  5. Shred the crown if you want to compost it or put it in a recycling bin
  6. Shred and cut up the stems and dispose of carefully - you don't want thorns in your compost bin!

Wear thick gloves when dealing with brambles:

Sometimes a good idea is to wear some super thick gloves, even oven gloves, and start to trace back the source of them. You may need to hack and slash a bit first to get to that stage but then you can locate the crown. I wouldn't recommend glyphosate or weed killer as brambles are notoriously difficult to apply it to without damaging other plants around it. 

Also, another thing to consider is maybe once you've rid of them to consider some of the cultivated winter Rubus (bramble genus) like the ghost bramble that are far less invasive but can look gorgeous. Rubus thibetanus 'Silver Fern' is an example. I've shown a picture below of them in midwinter. Stunning.

That way any wildlife that relies on the brambles can still get their fix without the very rampant invasive species taking over your garden. Just an ethical thought!

Good luck with your project and welcome to the Garden Ninja community. We would love to see pictures of your progress!

Happy gardening.

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!