Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Box Blight cure?

Hi fellow gardeners. I live in an apartment in a Victorian building and the hedges out in front are quite old - the building has been used as many things since it was built and these Box hedges are quite tall and large and WERE healthy until probably a few days ago. Now a section of hedge, touching another section, looks completely dead! Brown, shrunken - horrible! Phone ap says it's Box Blight. Do any of you know how I can stop the blight from killing all of the hedges? There's another one on the other side of the back garden (which really faces the road and is seen by everyone passing by). Some small Boxes on the other side of the garden are also brown. The social landlord hasn't provided a yard crew in the last 8 months and there's no one else here who cares about the yard, other than me. I can't remove the hedges, though! So I'll be contacting the landlord and telling them the problem here. But I fear I'll need to tell whomever they send how to handle this.  Hoping someone can help, soon!  Thank you! 

Hello fatfox, 

There are prepiatory fungicides on the market,but it sounds as though the plants are really suffering, it is suggested that all the damaged areas be cut away, even the complete plant removed. 

Bob

Hi, if the hedge doesn't belong to you I wouldn't spend lots of money trying to sort it out.

You could check it isn't the box tree caterpillars. They can munch large parts of the plants in a matter of days, then the leaves go brown and die. Apart from seeing the actual caterpillars, an early tell tell sign is loads of webbing, a bit like spiders' but it is sticking leaves together and the leaves starting to look skeletal.

If it's blight, apart from using chemicals the only way to control it is removing the infected material and keeping an eye on the rest of it. I would say hygiene is paramount but I imagine if people do come out. It would be the cheapest contractors in the area and get the infected material everywhere.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!