Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What's best to plant around a dry tree ?

Since we had the rescue dogs the grass gets churned up by this tree. I thought about a garden seat but haven't got the time or money so wondered about planting some nice evergreen bushes around the tree but would they be ok or would the tree suck the life out of them ?..

any suggestions of what to plant to make a nice area..

Uploaded files:
  • tree2.jpg

Hi @smallzoo

Welcome to the Garden Ninja forum!

What a dilemma, dogs and dry shady soil. That's a tricky combination, as I know as a dog owner!

You're going to need to find shrubs that once established, will tolerate dry shade and stop your dogs from destroying them. The biggest thing is getting them established. They will need a lot of water and care for the first 6 months as they are competing with the tree for moisture.

Here's two bullet proof examples.

Mahonia winter fire - once established the dogs will leave this alone and they will grow under trees quite happily. 

Geniste/Cytisus/ Broom shrubs:

These tall thin evergreens have beautiful yellow flowers and again once established don't mind some dry shade too!

Hope that helps!

Lee

Thanks for that. As usual we all want an instant fix so I would want a mature bushes as possible.

If I did plant these two examples as mature bushes , do they have less chance of establishing themselves ?

Planting drought tolerant shrubs or succulents would be ideal around a dry tree.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!