Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What Is Happening To My Grass; dying or grubs?

Hello All,

I am desperately seeking some advice as to what is happening to the grass in my garden. Slight background history, Hubby and I moved into our home two years ago, where the garden did not have grass but more concrete slabs and plants. We have since re-designed and for the first time this year in April, we sowed the grass seeds. We had wonderful grass growth throughout summer but started noticing over the past month and a half, patches, but a severe dead patch near banana tree. 

A few things to note, where the severe dead patch is, the garden does get limited sun. I have also noticed some small bugs in the area - they look like small mites (translucent type bodies?). The patches around the garden have small soil mounds as if something from underneath the earth has surfaced - is this normal? 

I have attached a few pictures but can add more - The picture of the banana tree is so you can see the location of the now dead patch. 

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_0507.jpg
  • IMG_0506.jpg
  • IMG_8991.jpg

Hi @joanna-louise

Thanks for the picures and comments. The mounds of soil are no bother; they're just earthworm casts and show great soil health so don't panic over these.

What causes grass to die off?

There are two probably causes looking at your pictures. The first is that there's too much shade there for that grass type. What I'd advise if choosing a shade-tolerant grass seed mix for those areas that will thrive in those shadier damp conditions. You can view shade tolerant grass seed here.

The second issue maybe chafer grubs.

What are translucent lawn grubs?

If you're seeing translucent bodies, you will likely have chafer grubs in your garden. These grubs can quickly cause damage in a lawn. 

Chafer grubs are the larvae of various species of chafer beetles, including the common European chafer (Amphimallon majale) and the Japanese beetle (Popillia japonica). These white, C-shaped grubs are a common lawn pest, and they can cause significant damage to lawns and turfgrass.

Damage Caused by Chafer Grubs:

Root Feeding: Chafer grubs primarily damage lawns by feeding on the roots of grass plants. They chew on the grassroots, which weakens the grass and reduces its ability to take up water and nutrients from the soil. This results in brown, dead patches in the affected areas.

Turf Disruption: As chafer grubs feed, they tunnel through the soil, creating channels that can disrupt the structure of the turf. This leads to uneven and spongy lawns, making them susceptible to further damage.

Increased Vulnerability: Lawns infested with chafer grubs become more vulnerable to other stressors like drought, disease, and weed invasion. Weakened grass is less able to recover from such challenges which is why lawsn can look so messy.

Predator Attraction: Chafer grubs in the soil can attract predators like birds and hedghogs that dig up the lawn in search of a meal. This secondary damage can be particularly problematic as it causes a real mess in heavy infestations of chafer grub.

Identification and Signs of Chafer Grub Damage:

• Dead or dying patches of grass, often beginning in late summer or early fall.
  • Loose, spongy turf that can be rolled back like a carpet due to damaged roots.
  • Presence of adult chafer beetles, which are active in the evenings and may be seen flying around the affected lawn.
  • Wildlife activity, such as raccoons, skunks, or birds, digging up the lawn in search of grubs.

Control and Management:

Preventative Measures: Healthy lawns are less susceptible to chafer grub damage. Maintain proper lawn care practices, such as regular watering, mowing, and fertilizing, to keep the grass strong.

Nematodes: Beneficial nematodes, such as Heterorhabditis bacteriophora and Steinernema carpocapsae, can be applied to the lawn to control chafer grubs. These are the best means of getting rid of them!

Early Detection: Keep an eye on your lawn for signs of damage and wildlife activity. Early detection can help address the problem before it becomes severe.

Aeration and Overseeding: In the aftermath of chafer grub damage, aerating the lawn and overseeding can help repair and rejuvenate the affected areas.

I hope that helps?

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!