Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1’s Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it’s a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn’t say it to your mum’s face, then don’t post it here. Please don’t promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don’t ask for ‘cheeky’ full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Verbena Bonariensis seed sowing help

Hello all,

I bought seeds for this and sowed them earlier in the year.  They really didn't come to anything in the time stated on the packet but I eventually put them out in the greenhouse and, with the warmer weather, they've romped on.

I've planted a few but as they were so late in starting, they haven't flowered and I'm wondering if I need to do anything with them come Autumn please?  I'm hoping to get some more in the ground in the next few days as well.

Very many thanks 

Elaine S

Hi Elaine,

Great to hear you're growing plants from seed! It's a wonderful part of gardening magic and is a cost-effective way of bulking up your borders!

Verbena bonariensis is a fantastic late-season herbaceous perennial that adds airy height to a border. It's also a magnet for butterflies and beneficial garden insects. 

As Verbena is a late-season plant I'm not surprised it's taken a while the show itself when growing from seed. Most herbaceous perennials grown from seed have longer germination periods, some up to 6 weeks believe it or not. Unlike annual seeds which only grow for one year so have to get a move on pretty quickly!

With herbaceous perennials they usually only flower from year 2 onwards when grown from seed so that's normal for them to be a bit short and twiggy in year one. This is the year they establish their roots before being settled enough to flower.

Next year I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the result. Also, Verbena prolifically self-seeds as well so keep your eyes out for their distinctive ribbed leaf and square style stems in young seedlings in the garden!

For anyone wanting to grow from seed here's some more help. It's a wonderful way to bulk up your garden on a budget and reduce your carbon footprint.

Happy Gardening! 

Lee

Thanks ever so much Lee.  I'll get planting and leave them to do their thing.  That's as long as our nocturnal visitors stop digging them up ? ?

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja
Online garden design courses

Share this now!