Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Turf dyeing

Closer look

I installed turf to a steap bank in my garden it’s been fine for years but now seems to be dyeing, I was told by my mum she thought it was leatherjackets so treated with leatherjacket Nematodes at double the strength. But the problem is spreading and getting much worse . Please help with any ideas I have treated with a mirical grow weed and feed but didn’t help eather. 

Hi @minilaura

Thanks for your question on why your lawns dying. 

It certainly looks like either leather jackets or chafer grubs, both of which cause brown patches to appear on your lawn that spread.

What is a chafer grub and how do they damage lawns?

A chafer grub is the larval stage of certain beetles belonging to the family Scarabaeidae. These grubs are commonly found in lawns and can cause significant damage to the grass roots, resulting in patches of dead or dying grass like the picture above of your lawn.

Chafer grubs are creamy white in colour, have a C-shaped body, and are typically about 2 centimeters (0.8 inches) long when fully grown. They feed on the roots of grass and other plants, which can lead to the thinning and weakening of the turf. Which results in brown patches that spread.

The damage caused by chafer grubs is usually most noticeable during the late summer and early autumn months. As the grubs feed on the grassroots, the affected areas of the lawn may become spongy and discoloured. Patches of yellow or brown grass may appear, and these areas can be easily lifted or rolled back like a loose carpet. In severe infestations, the grass may completely die off, leaving bare soil behind.

Another factor that exacerbates the damage is that animals such as birds, squirrels and other wildlife being are attracted to lawns infested with chafer grubs. These animals dig up the grass to feed on the grubs, causing additional destruction to the lawn.

What is a leather jacket?

A leatherjacket is the larval stage of certain species of crane flies, also known as daddy longlegs or mosquito hawks. These larvae are commonly found in lawns and can cause damage to the grass roots, resulting in patches of weakened or dead grass.

Leatherjackets are cylindrical, grayish-brown or tan-colored larvae with a tough, leathery texture, hence the name. They have a distinct head capsule and legless bodies, which can grow up to 4 centimeters (1.5 inches) in length. Leatherjackets feed on the roots of grass and other plants, causing harm to the turf.

How to fix a grub-damaged lawn?

The best method is, as you've said, nematodes. However, these will only treat the larvae. The reason you may think it's not working is the grubs are still showing that were past the larvae stage. I reckon this area will soon calm down. Miracle grow won't stop an infestation, and a better lawn feed is a slow-release fertilizer - see my guide here and video below. Make sure you treat with nematodes again next year but in early spring as a preventative measure.

Hope that helps!

Online garden design courses

Share this now!