Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tomato blight symptoms and cure?

Please could one of you lovely ninja give me advice on my bush tomatoes, I'm worried that they've got blight due to the poor weather conditions. As I live on the pennines and not had a lot of sunshine. Any advice will be very much appreciated. ( this is my first time growing tomatoes) 

Uploaded files:
  • inbound8375986781401559727.jpg

Hi @jules37

Thanks for your question. From the one pic it does look like the early signs of Tomato blight sadly. There’s nothing you can do once you have blight but to destroy your crop either incinerate or dispose of but don’t compost. 

The indicators are the dark brown stem and also leaves turning brown. I would guess that in a week or so the fruits and other stems will start to shrivel and turn brown. It’s always best to be safe than sorry as blights highly contagious and will spread if not caught diligently like you have. 

Tomato blight is a plant disease caused by fungal pathogens, such as Phytophthora infestans. It affects tomato plants, causing wilting, leaf spots, and ultimately leading to the death of the plant if left untreated.

The key signs of tomato blight are:

• Leaf spots: Look for brown or black spots that may have a greenish or yellowish halo. These spots often appear on older leaves first.

• Leaf curling: Infected leaves may start to curl and twist.

• Wilting: The plant may show signs of wilting, starting from the tips of the leaves and progressing towards the stem.

• Stem lesions: Dark, sunken areas on the stem, often near the soil line, can indicate blight infection. This is the first sign I’m seeing on your tomato photo.

• Fruit rot: In some cases, blight can also affect the tomato fruits, causing brown, water-soaked spots or rotting.

• Rapid spread: If you notice the symptoms spreading quickly throughout the plant or to neighboring plants, it may be a sign of blight.

To stop tomato blight, you can take several preventive measures:

• Choose resistant varieties: Opt for tomato varieties that are bred to be resistant to blight.

• Proper spacing: Ensure adequate space between tomato plants to promote good air circulation, reducing the chance of fungal spores spreading.

• Watering: Avoid overhead watering and water the plants at the base to keep the foliage dry and minimize moisture on leaves.

• Mulching: Apply organic mulch around the base of the plants to prevent soil-borne spores from splashing onto leaves.

• Crop rotation: Avoid planting tomatoes in the same location for consecutive years, as this reduces the buildup of pathogens in the soil.

• Sanitation: Regularly remove and dispose of infected plant debris to prevent the spread of the disease.

• Fungicides: As a last resort, you can use fungicides labeled for tomato blight, but follow the instructions carefully. Usually resistant varieties and good hygiene is a better option than chemical fungicides which I always avoid. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. However don’t give up. Give growing them another try next year with a resistant cultivar and completely cleansed and sterilised pots. Growing from seeds super easy as my guide below will show you. 

https://youtu.be/5_Tfj2Eqi_U

Happy growing

Lee

jules37 has reacted to this post.
jules37

Thanks for your advice, will I also have to get rid of the compost soil or can it be reused? 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!