Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Soft blackening leaves on Peace Lily

I have a had several peace lilies and this seems to happen to all of them sooner or later. This particular one is an offshoot of a larger plant it happened to perhaps about 1 year ago.

The leaves will develop small black spots that spread, from the edge, or sometimes other parts of the leaf. Older and newer leaves are affected equally. Cutting off the offending leaf doesn't seem to help. The black will spread down the remains of the stem.

The leaves which are affected lose their stiff springiness and droop, but not in the same way they do from lack of water.

I always use filtered water, and only water when the leaves start to droop and soil is dry. The plant is in a bright, but not directly lit space. Temperature never varies more than 10 degrees in a single day. Pot has good drainage.

Please help! I've never been able to get a good answer as to what is wrong.

Uploaded files:
  • PXL_20230523_212916606.jpg
  • PXL_20230523_212908662.jpg
  • PXL_20230523_212926503.jpg

Hi @injapan

Thanks for your comment on your peace lilies leaves turning black. The main reason for this is over-watering and or lack of light. In my experience and looking at your soil I think it's over watering. 

Most house plants prefer to be watered say once a week and then allowed to partially dry out rather than a little water each day. So if you're watering every day hold back a bit.

Here are some other common causes of black leaf on house plants in a case that's not it.

Black leaf causes:

• Overwatering: One of the most common causes of black leaves is overwatering. When plants are watered excessively or if they are sitting in waterlogged soil for extended periods, the roots may become damaged or develop root rot. This can result in blackened and mushy leaves.
  • Fungal or bacterial diseases: Certain fungal or bacterial diseases can cause black spots or patches on the leaves. For example, black leaf spot (caused by fungi such as Colletotrichum or Alternaria) can result in black lesions on the foliage. Bacterial infections, like bacterial leaf spot, can also cause blackened areas on leaves.
  • Fungal leaf blight: Some houseplants, such as African violets, are prone to fungal leaf blight. This disease causes blackened, necrotic spots on the leaves and can be triggered by high humidity, poor air circulation, or overwatering.
  • Inadequate light: Insufficient light can cause leaves to darken and turn black. Plants need an appropriate amount of light to carry out photosynthesis and maintain healthy foliage. If a plant is kept in a location with very low light levels, the leaves may become dark and eventually die off.
  • Chemical damage: Exposure to certain chemicals or toxins can result in blackened leaves. This can occur if the plant comes into contact with strong pesticides, chemical residues, or airborne pollutants. Even exposure to high levels of fluoride in tap water can cause leaf browning or blackening in some sensitive plant species.
  • Nutrient deficiencies: Lack of essential nutrients, particularly iron or manganese, can cause blackening or darkening of leaves. Iron deficiency, also known as chlorosis, can result in yellowing leaves that may eventually turn black. It's important to provide plants with a balanced fertilizer to prevent nutrient deficiencies.

• Natural aging or leaf death: In some cases, black leaves may simply be a natural part of a plant's lifecycle. As leaves age or die, they may darken and eventually turn black before falling off. This is a normal process, and new leaves should continue to emerge.

To address black leaves, it's important to identify the underlying cause. Adjusting watering practices, improving air circulation, providing adequate light, avoiding chemical exposure, and ensuring proper nutrition can help prevent and address the blackening of leaves. 

I hope that helps!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!