Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Shrubs for container recommendations

I have severe osteoarthritis in both hips, which unfortunately means, I cannot garden like I used to, due to not being able to bend or walk very well. I have a small courtyard garden with two small borders, but mainly paved. I've managed to fill the borders with what I think are tough plants that don't need too much attention, ie fuchsias, spireas, carex ( to fill any gaps).

What I'd like is advice on some easy to care for shrubs that won't get too big and that can survive happily in large pots? I usually have pots full of bedding plants in the summer, but these are too difficult for me now...daily watering, deadheading etc, so I think shrubs, flowering or non flowering, are the way forward and would welcome any suggestions for my West facing plot. Thank you.

Hello My Tiny Garden,

I know exactly where your coming from, digging seems to get a bit harder every year. I’m considering more shrubs in my beds and easing off on the flowers, I may go 50/50 still thinking what will go where with what, and then change my mind ? 

A few suggestions for you…Pittosporum you can just leave it be, take of the bottom stems and create a standard, prune it into a ball shape, I have a few of these and they have never let me down. Nandina colourful shrub looks after itself, Daphne, I have had some good results with Hydrangeas, but strangely ants seemed to like making their home in these pots?? Euonymus just needs a prune to keep it in shape if you wish, what about a bamboo, put it in your pot and forget about it, but to make it a bit different trim off all the small stems to about half way up the main shoots, so when you look at it you will see lovely bamboo foliage perched on bamboo canes.

Hopefully a few more suggestions will be forthcoming, let us know what you go for, take care.

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja and My tiny garden have reacted to this post.
Lee Garden NinjaMy tiny garden

Thanks so much for your suggestions Bob. I'm glad I'm not alone in trying to create a more manageable garden! I love bedding plants in my pots, but it's just not practical any more. I shall look into the plants you've suggested and let you know what I go for. Thanks again 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!