Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to prune a laurel hedge

Hi, I wonder if someone might know the answer to this.

I planted 5 bare root laurels in the winter of 2020 to create a section as privacy screening. They have grown well and appear healthy, but thus far, have not flowered at all. Is this normal for young plants?

Also, I’m not sure how & when to prune them. I don't necessarily want a small hedge, but an informal type shrub would do.  

Hope you can advise. Thanks.

Hi Franco, 

Would you supply a little more information please, name of the species, were they very small when purchased, is your soil clay based, and are they in a sunny or shady spot?

All the Best.... Bob

Franco has reacted to this post.
Franco

Hi Bob,

They are cherry laurel (prunus lauroceracus?). They were around 2ft tall when planted. I planted with compost, bonemeal, and mycorrhizal root grow. I added some composted fine bark around 2 weeks ago as a mulch.

The soil is clay and I measured pH as 7. They get the sun until around 2-3pm and then begin to be mostly in shade. I did notice some new growth today but they look like buds/leaves rather than flowers. 

There seems to be a lot of conflicting info online so I'm a bit confused. I thought they were easy to grow and fast growers too, but so far they are taking their time!

Thanks. 

Hello Franco,

I know exactly what you mean regarding mixed information on line. The Cherry Laurel is slower growing than some other species, they grow in either sun or shade and can tolerate most soils even clay, as long as it is “not water” logged!!!

On paper it looks as though you have done everything correctly, even a PH test, I’m just wondering on the planting side? I have had a couple of tricky areas in my garden therefore when planting I dig a hole that is bigger than required, removing all the soil, then depending what I’m planting, into the hole I add compost, or compost mixed with a john Innes (no3), and maybe compost and Horticultural Grit, then I put back into the hole all the soil I removed and completely mix the two together, so the plant roots will grow into the compost and the same soil in the surrounding area.

I’m wondering if you have used too much fertilizer and burnt the roots a little? I use Fish Blood and Bone, but I use this fertilizer on top of the soil once the plant is in situ, I don’t use a lot, sprinkle around the plant fork it in well and that’s it, apart from the watering.

You have composted bark around the plant, you could try bagging this up, don’t throw it away, then digging in a fair amount of John Innes No 3 into the soil all around your plants, even though they grow in clay it is possible that your clay is just holding too much water, or try digging in a proprietary Clay conditioner / breaker. You said that there is a sign of growth, so something is slowly happening, they show flowers between April and May, so fingers crossed.

Hopefully Lee will pick up on your question, and bring his extensive knowledge to the fore, please keep the forum informed of how you are getting on, as it may help another forum member.

Bob

Franco

Hi Franco,

To answer your question, yes a Cherry laurel will flower and even fruit if pruned at the right time and allowed to grow informally.

However, most gardeners tend to prune Cherry laurel into a neater clipped form which then removes the potential flowering buds meaning no flower or fruit. Pruning laurel in April and then in August will pretty much remove any flowering buds for fruit or flowers. The flowers emerge April to June and then fruits if left unclipped come around September time. Whereas clipping in June and then October is preferable if you want a hedge that flowers with a looser shape.

However, these shrubs grow really quickly so you'll need to balance off flowers with excessive growth. Just a consideration.

So if you want a formal fast-growing Cherry laurel hedge you will achieve this but receive no flowers, especially if pruning early spring and then later summer. As you cut the buds off.

How to get a Cherry laurel hedge to flower

To get a Cherry laurel to flower you need to keep it in a much more relaxed and natural form. ie no straight boxes close-clipped hedges. 

To do this in the first year or so I would only remove the growing lead tip by maybe 1/6 of the overall length and only cut back any laterals that are in the way of say paths but then leave the plants to do their thing. This will enable you to grow a very loose hedge more in keeping with the laurels natural growth form. Remember that Prunus laurocerasus (Cherry Laurel) would be a multi stems woody shrub in the wild, not an evergreen boxy hedge!

To keep the flowers clip laurel in October only with a very slight cut nothing too hard. Then after it has flowered in June you can give it a tidy up again. If you want fruits you'll need to only clip once after fruiting each year in late October. However, this may lead to a very shaggy hedge!

If I were you I'd go light touch for the first few years until you work out the flowering and fruiting time in your area and then base your cutting on that. Below is a handy guide for clipping especially if using a wanting a more informal review, then use hand sheers!

Happy gardening!

Lee

Franco

Thanks for all the detailed answers! I doubt I would have figured all that out on my own.

At least I have a plan now for what I would like to achieve. It appears the growth I saw were new shoots/leaves rather than flowers. The reason I was confused is that I saw many local laurel (newly planted) that were flowering after a short time in the ground. 

I've uploaded some photos which may be helpful to other posters here. I see quite a bit of back budding which hopefully means the hedge will fill out and become bushy toward the bottom.

Many thanks

Franco

Uploaded files:
  • 3C86E4F3-B07C-4767-BEE8-034F2407E24C.jpeg
  • E0F1B112-7AFE-4C13-BDD0-C2A7619A59F7.jpeg
Online garden design courses

Share this now!