Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pruning a clematis

Hello!

My daughter lives in Iowa, US and has two clematis plants in her yard that grew quite big last year and had many flowers.  When is the best time to prune the clematis?  It is quite snowy right now!

Thank you,

MichelleD

Hello MichelleD,

Tricky question, I will refer to the UK plants, first of all there are numerous types of Clematis and these bloom at different times of the year, you can get Clematis type one, two and three, these require slightly different pruning, if my memory serves me correctly some bloom on new growth some flower on old wood, some on both. 

I would not even think about cutting back or pruning whilst snow or frost is about, I live in Kent, the South East UK so here the climate is equivalent to USA Zone 9, I don't have a clue where Iowa is, or what zone it is in, one can prune Clematis right back to near ground level, leaving about a foot or so as long as there are buds on the stems, and or cut back to a new bud from the top of a stem, , personally I just remove old dead wood, if your not sure what's dead and what isn't just lightly scrape the stem, if under the surface shows a soft green, it's good and alive, if the stem is hard brown and brittle, it's dead, remove it. 

I would suggest asking your daughter, if she knows the name of her Clematis, does she know what "Climate Zone" Iowa is in? I Know that some plants in the US have the same names as ours in the UK, so we may be able to assist once we have names and zone, all I can suggest at the moment is, as the plant is going great guns, just tidy it up a little and enjoy the flowers. 

Bob

MichelleD has reacted to this post.
MichelleD

Hi Michelle,

I've actually got a Clematis pruning guide in the pipeline for this years gardening video content!

Just to add to the advice from Bob you have 3 groups of clematis and each needs a slightly different pruning approach.

Clematis groups and pruning:

Group 1 Clematis Pruning- Early flowering. Clematis armandii is an example. These flower on last years growth so prune these after flowering in spring. Light tidy up is all that's usually needed.

Group 2 Clematis Pruning - These usually flower twice in summer. Example Clematis Nelly Moser, Once around May and then again in July/Aug.  They set buds in Autumn or spring so prune back any dead growth to a healthy bud (once they start to swell in Spring). Then prune these back after the first flush to the next set of healthy buds and then you usually get a second flush 

Group 3 Clematis Pruning - Summer flowering clematis Clematis viticella & Clematis texensis as examples. These flower in late summer so prune these back to 20-30cm above the ground in late winter ie Feb in the UK.

I would never advise pruning when it's snowing or frosty this can lead to all sorts of damage to your clematis and plants.

You can find out more about pruning here in my guide.

Happy gardening!

Lee

MichelleD has reacted to this post.
MichelleD

Thank you for your reply!!  My daughter and her husband moved to Pella, Iowa (Zone 5) and discovered the house was known for its beautiful garden, featuring over 30 different plants and shrubs. This was very intimidating to a beginning gardener, so I sent over your video on beginning gardening.  The previous owner left her with many tags of the plants they planted so I will find out which group her 2 different clematis belong in.  It is too snowy and cold now, but it will begin to warm up a little in March.  Thanks again for your help, and your help too Bob!!

Best to you,

Michelle

Online garden design courses

Share this now!