Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pot Worms in my soil! .. I think

Hey everyone, hope you can help.

Last year i built some raised planters for my garden to grow veg and had a great year. I stay West Coast of Scotland, so it is wet!. I added some chicken manure pellets to prepare the soil for this year, whcih may have been a bad decision. Out of my 7 planters, 2 of them seem totally taken over with pot worms (see pic). I know that they are present in decaying matter, but there seems to be a lot of them. I have bought a PH meter to check soil PH but what i really need to know is do i need to get rid of the soil altogther or can I add something to remove them? Planning on growing potatoes and leeks in them this year.

Thanks!

Uploaded files:
  • 20240225_145113.jpg

Hi @nightnav

Thanks for your question about those tiny translucent worms in your soil. These are sometimes referred to as Pot worms and just to reassure you they are completely harmless and a great sign of fantastic soil health! So celebrate!

Pot worms, also known as pot worms or enchytraeids, are small, translucent worms commonly found in compost bins, potted plants, and garden soil. They can alarm new gardeners, though, with their ghostly appearance.

While they may resemble pests at first glance, pot worms are actually beneficial to the garden ecosystem.

Are Pot Worms Harmful or Pests?

No, not at all they are actually beneficial creatures in our gardens. Unlike some other soil-dwelling pests, pot worms are harmless to plants and humans. They do not feed on living plant tissue or cause damage to garden crops. Instead, they contribute to the overall balance and fertility of the soil. They do no harm but only bring goodness!

Here's a guide to understanding pot worms and their benefits Nightnav so you know why all expert gardeners leave them be in the garden.

1.What do Pot worms look like?

Pot worms are tiny, slender worms, usually less than an inch in length. They have a translucent or whitish appearance, making them easy to distinguish from other soil organisms.

2. Role of Pot Worms in Soil Health

Pot worms play a crucial role in soil health and decomposition processes. They help break down organic matter, such as dead plant material and decaying roots, into nutrient-rich compost. As they consume organic matter, they help accelerate the decomposition process, releasing essential nutrients that plants can absorb. They basically provide food for plants and vegetables in the garden.

3. Aeration and Soil Structure

Pot worms burrow through the soil, creating channels and aerating the soil as they move. This improves soil structure, enhances water retention, and promotes root growth. Their activity also helps prevent soil compaction, allowing plant roots to penetrate more easily.

4. Pot Worms as Indicators of Soil Health

The presence of pot worms is often an indicator of healthy, fertile soil. Their abundance suggests a well-balanced ecosystem with ample organic matter and beneficial microbial activity. So when you find them, you know that your garden ecosystem is in balance and Mother Nature is doing her thing!

5. Composting Assistants for Compost Bins

Pot worms thrive in compost bins and help accelerate the decomposition of organic waste. If you find them in your homemade compost or leaf mould, then their presence indicates active composting processes. This gives an indicator that your compost is the right mix of organic carbon and nitrogen-rich material. 

6. Food for Other Organisms

Pot worms serve as food for various soil-dwelling organisms, including beneficial nematodes, mites, and microorganisms. They contribute to the overall biodiversity of the soil ecosystem and support a healthy food web.

Pot worms are super valuable allies in the garden, contributing to soil health, nutrient cycling, and composting processes. Gardeners should welcome their presence as indicators of a thriving ecosystem and healthy soil. Encouraging biodiversity and promoting soil health are essential practices for sustainable gardening and organic cultivation. So Nightnav I would leave them be and pat yourself on the back for having such a fab ecosystem in your garden!

All the best

Lee Garden Ninja

Did you know that you can take my course and learn how to become a Garden Ninja yourself? Click here for details

Thank you so much Lee, really appreciate the detailed response and putting my mind at ease. Take care

Online garden design courses

Share this now!