Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Old Australian Cheesewood Pittosporum pruning

Hello all
I’m a complete beginner and we’ve recently moved to a house that has a beautiful, well-established garden but most of the trees/shrubs haven’t been pruned for (I suspect) many years. 
We have a huge Australian Cheesewood (I think that’s what it is!) that has leaves on the end but it’s seems to have not a lot going on in the middle. Hopefully the photo shows you what I mean - but is it possible to hard prune this back and make it look less ‘dead’. Thanks for any advice.

Uploaded files:
  • D07F4BF6-E2BF-42C3-968A-B59AE37B4C66.jpeg

Hi @wendywoo

Great question on Pittosporum pruning!

The Australian Cheesewood (common name) is part of the Pittosporaceae family. More commonly known in Latin as Pittosporum undulatum.

It has ovate undulating leaves - hence the Latin species title. You can check if it's a Pittosporum undulatum as the leaves smell sweet when crushed. It has a yellow flower and is sometimes known as Mock orange.

It's an incredibly fast growing shrub/tree which originates from South West Australia. It's a wetland tree so likes humidity and moist soil to really thrive. It will grow up to 15 meters in the right conditions.

It will survive pretty much anywhere even without its native conditions which is why it's been used as a bulletproof shrub for so long. It is considered an invasive species in Portugal where it was introduced and in other parts of the world, in particular where there's a warm humid climate.

How to prune Pittosporum undulata

You can easily hard prune Pittosporum / Australian Cheesewood and it will return in vigour! If I were looking at that photo I'd take it back to 12 inches above where the main stem splits into the multistem part.

Cut it in staggered cuts like the above to help create a balanced framework. If you cut them all at the same level horizontally you'll end up with an unnatural-looking shrub! Ie those car park council shrubs you see cut into blobs or boxes!

Then it will regrow with a bang bringing more foliage lower down the shrub. If your soil is poor, give it a good peat-free compost mulch but other than that, you'll be grand!

A pruning saw like this is your best bet to get through those thicker branches.

(This is an affiliate link so if you do choose to buy receive a small commission that helps keep this blog free to use!)

Thanks so much Lee - that’s super helpful. Should I let it do its thing now until the autumn and give it a hard prune then? I’m guessing it’s too late to do it now? Thanks in advance. 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!