Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New Build not coming together!

Hi all,  I'm a relatively new gardener so my knowledge is heavily 'google' informed.  

We moved into our new build in 2019 and had a big square lawn on hard clay soil, heavily laden with left over rubble.  So it's parched.  I've added mulch, top soil and have been digging it over spring/autumn.

I've added a few shrubs over the last 24 months (2 red robins together, hedge veronica, lavenders, smoke tree bush, mock sweet orange) but it just seems very disjointed.  It's a L shaped border and these shrubs are Left to Right, not clustered.  Is this the problem?  Should I buy more of the same shrubs and 'cluster them' to bring it all together?

The other oddity is that our dog has 2 spots that we are 'not allowed' to plant anything.  He simply removes whatever it is... rose climber, conifer you name it.  Not allowed.  This adds to the gappy, disjointed feel of the garden.

Any ideas are most welcomed!! Thank you.

Hi @grottie2000

Do you have some photos so we can all take a look?

Thanks

Lee Garden Ninja

I shall take some this weekend when it is daylight (I work til dark).  Also, please bear in mind it's colder months' so some of the plants are without leaves.. but yes, I will gather some images.  Thank you,

I'm keen and not very patient - sent husband out to photograph!!! ha!

Attached Left to Right.  Left - lot's of gappy area.  Cherry tree failed to take, currently has a young climbing rose on it's first rung of the climbing fence trail.  Then we have the dark green Ceonothus (?) which seems happy.  Then I have Hydrangea (dormant), lavendar (woody) and a Sweet Mock Orange (fails to flourish).  Then in the left corner, red robins, also failing to flourish (working hard to get anywhere).  The middle photo shows a dormant climber area for some clematis, with a which never seem to grow and a fuscia at the base.  This autumn I have mulched the area and am hopeful that next year i'll see something grow beyond 6inch. To the Right - Davidii Virburnum, Hedge Veronica, Common Pear Tree and a young lavender.  I'm trying to create height (pear tree and red robin) but nothings happening, it's all very slowwwww.  These were all plants 2/3 years ago (with the exception of those mentioned as 'young').

I've read your blog on common mistakes and I'm thinking I could do with deeper borders.  Add in more of the same shrubs..?  Any thoughts to share?

Uploaded files:
  • Garden-Ninja-1.jpg
  • Garden-Ninja-2.jpg
  • Garden-Ninja-3.jpg
Online garden design courses

Share this now!